Offline theintelligent1

• Vodka is Just Unfinished Gin

• Drives: Miss Daisy

*Warning* This is very graphic footage. I didnt feel much about what happened until I saw this footage including the bodies on this video. I kind of felt that they probably all died instantly and painlessly when the missile hit. This made me think maybe otherwise. Don't watch if you're faint hearted. http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=0e5_1405626203

hope they at least were well oxygen deprived and unconcious a long way before impact

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

If you're flying home from a holiday or whatever, KL is a busy stopover on the way back, how are you to know what airspace the plane you're on will fly through.
Answer - you don't, and that might apply to many other flights.

Apparently 15 other Asian airlines have taken this route but US and UK didn't.

Offline fivesix

My mothers colleague and friend was on board with his wife. Was a great bloke.

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

My mothers colleague and friend was on board with his wife. Was a great bloke.

No words, so sorry, no one should go this way...........

Offline TomE

If you're flying home from a holiday or whatever, KL is a busy stopover on the way back, how are you to know what airspace the plane you're on will fly through.

No, they tell you when you are 33000 ft up over Iraq via the little map on the seat in front.

I guess these days most people are watching  ipads
"There's too many self-Indulgent wieners in this city with too much bloody money! Now, if I was driving a 1967 275 GTB four-cam... "

Offline dkabab

im a bit confused by the footage. the early footage shows a large explosion on the ground and a big fireball... this would lead to believe that the plane was still in a fairly large piece when it hit the ground. but if a missile was shot up at the plane, surely it would have exploded and ignited all the fuel on board...

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

I was on the Qantas website this afternoon and they are running a banner saying they don't overfly Ukraine either.

Offline dkabab

No, they tell you when you are 33000 ft up over Iraq via the little map on the seat in front.

I guess these days most people are watching  ipads

flying from dubai to istanbul in 2006 we diverted south of iraq and over saudi/egypt

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

I was on the Qantas website this afternoon and they are running a banner saying they don't overfly Ukraine either.

Apparently that route was cleared for 26,000 ft so they thought 30 was ok, the US and UK airlines take a more conservative approach.

MAS will come in for a lot of criticism over their security procedures.

Fuel is a major cost factor so a low cost airline such as MAS would take the cheapest route.

Offline TomE

im a bit confused by the footage. the early footage shows a large explosion on the ground and a big fireball... this would lead to believe that the plane was still in a fairly large piece when it hit the ground. but if a missile was shot up at the plane, surely it would have exploded and ignited all the fuel on board...

That's what I thought so I looked it up on the Internet. Apparently the warhead detonates near the target sending fragments over a larger area to ensure a hit. It then has a higher chace of disabling the target. So they may have only hit the wing tail etc.
"There's too many self-Indulgent wieners in this city with too much bloody money! Now, if I was driving a 1967 275 GTB four-cam... "