Offline 98octane

I blame Nato. They could have wandered in with a load of tanks and ground troupes within 48 hours and cleared off the locals so that the site could be dealt with properly. The Russian troops that shot down the airliner had already scampered back to Russia, there was only a bunch of local drunks with machine guns that could have been cleared off in no time.

Are you serious? This conflict is largely about Russia's concern about increasing NATO power. What you suggest would escalate tensions.

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A red car.
I am serious. People need to stop being scared of Russia doing something. Russia needs to be put it its box. It needs to realise if it doesnt stop being a naughty little boy it will answer to the whole world, not just the US.

The world is full of soft, anti war people. Thats why we have refugees running wild all over the planet. A little bit of genocide here and there could get the planet back in order.

Sooner of later the UN and Nato have to say enough is enough and take tough stances, thats why Putin laughs at them.

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason

Offline app

I am serious. People need to stop being scared of Russia doing something. Russia needs to be put it its box. It needs to realise if it doesnt stop being a naughty little boy it will answer to the whole world, not just the US.

The world is full of soft, anti war people. Thats why we have refugees running wild all over the planet. A little bit of genocide here and there could get the planet back in order.

Sooner of later the UN and Nato have to say enough is enough and take tough stances, thats why Putin laughs at them.

Interestingly, I read an article back when tensions with Ukraine were rising, saying that Russia and Putin need to tread very carefully given the performance of the Russian economy is dismal and cannot afford to worsen it's position with the Western nations.  We'll have to wait and see.

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason

Interestingly, I read an article back when tensions with Ukraine were rising, saying that Russia and Putin need to tread very carefully given the performance of the Russian economy is dismal and cannot afford to worsen it's position with the Western nations.  We'll have to wait and see.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-07-20/russian-billionaires-in-horror-as-putin-risks-isolation.html

Offline S4Simon

• The Rubber King of Adelaide

• Drives: Something a metre high
Okay so the Russians are now saying that they shot at a Ukranian fighter aircraft.  Since this was a Radar guided missile the fighter would have deployed chaff.  In one of the videos it shows streamers floating down which are related to chaff dispensers.  But in defence the missile would still have to be guided onto the next target.
I've been rich & I've been poor...

Rich is better

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason

Okay so the Russians are now saying that they shot at a Ukranian fighter aircraft.  Since this was a Radar guided missile the fighter would have deployed chaff.  In one of the videos it shows streamers floating down which are related to chaff dispensers.  But in defence the missile would still have to be guided onto the next target.

If that is what happened I would have thought that the first news we would ever have heard on this would have been that some Russian heroes shot down a Ukrainian jet that fired on a civilian airliner. I would have expected Putin to be saying this from day one. It is possible but why wouldn't it have been Russia's only stance on the subject? They sound like a suspect that keeps changing their story when they get arrested.

Offline RMV

• A Country Member

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

Best to hit people where it hurts most- their pocket. Putin is one of those billionaire oligarchs too, apparently.

Isn't it rumored that abramovich is putins public face?

Offline RS

• Drives: AMG
I think nick has a few flights with a Russian airline though.
But pretty sure he's in London at the moment anyway.

No i decided to pay more to fly with Emirates over the cheap Russian flights.

Left amsterdam the day before this happened via train. No wifi connection for a few days while having some business meetings in southern Holland, turned on wifi when got to spain on friday night to a few concerned messages!

Was actually thinking on the way over if it was safe for us to be flying directly over baghdad
Convict by heritage, Guilty by Choice