Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
So I've heard from plenty of folk over many years say what sound to me like silly "wive's tales" about certain foods taking 7 or 14 days to "digest".  This has included steak, chicken skin, sausage meat, pastry, etc...

Most cliches/tales have *some* element of truth at a base level, but this one about steak came up with B2(7) parroting it yesterday as an excuse for him not eating steak as often as he would like.

I understand there are "links" to bowel cancer and such - but again, nothing definitive which says "steak WILL cause blah".  Anyhoo that's not what we're talking about...

So - can anyone confirm that it actually takes 7 days to digest a steak?

All I can say is that there have been various times I've taken to the lavatory in 6 hours or less and can confirm the only byproduct is that of the cow I recently ate.

It's time to prove or dispel these things once and for all.

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Pork
  • Name: Peter
yeah...good luck with proving or dispelling the theory about global warming too. no one agrees.

all things in moderation is my motto. a good balanced diet including all the things you love and some of the things you like and a couple of the things you could really do without and you'll probably make it all the way to a really old age...maybe even 50!

I love my car. Buy your own

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

There is a rumour that John Wayne had 20lbs of rotting meat in his colon when he died!!!

This is what I have been told by a corporate health dietician.
This has been sourced from a corporate health hand out, so true, false or propaganda????

In regards to Red meat, 3 serves a week, with a serving size of about the size of your Palm(don't know about thickness).
Red meat will not sit in the stomach for long periods of time unless there is a digestion problem or the diet does not include a lot of fiber.

With a balanced and healthy system this is the digestion times:

DIGESTION TIME OF VARIOUS FOODS
(approx. time spent in stomach before emptying). ........
Water
when stomach is empty, leaves immediately and goes into intestines,
Juices
Fruit vegetables, vegetable broth - 15 to 20 minutes.
Semi-liquid
(blended salad, vegetables or fruits) - 20 to 30 min.

Fruits

Watermelon - 20 min.digestion time.
Other melons - Canteloupe, Cranshaw, Honeydew etc. - 30 min.
Oranges, grapefruit, grapes - 30 min.
Apples, pears, peaches, cherries etc. - digest in 40 min.

Vegetables

Raw tossed salad vegetables - tomato, lettuces, cucumber, celery, red or green pepper, other succulent vegetables - 30 to 40 min. digestion. -
Steamed or cooked vegetables
Leafy vegetables - escarole, spinach, kale, collards etc. - 40 min. - Zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, string beans, yellow squash, corn on cob - all 45 min. digestion time
Root vegetables - carrots, beets, parsnips, turnips etc. - 50 min.
Semi-Concentrated Carbohydrates - Starches
Jerusalem artichokes & leafy, acorn & butternut squashes, corn, potatoes, sweet potatoes, yam, chestnuts - all 60 min. digestion.

Concentrated Carbohydrates - Grains

Brown rice, millet, buckwheat, cornmeal, oats (first 3 vegetables best) - 90 min.
Legumes & Beans - (Concentrated Carbohydrate & Protein)
Lentils, limas, chick peas, peas, pigeon peas, kidney beans, etc. - 90 min. digestion time
soy beans -120 min. digestion time
Seeds & Nuts
Seeds - Sunflower, pumpkin, pepita, sesame - Digestive time approx. 2 hours.
Nuts - Almonds, filberts, peanuts (raw), cashews, brazil, walnuts, pecans etc. - 2 1/2 to 3 hours to digest.

Dairy

Skim milk, cottage or low fat pot cheese or ricotta - approx. 90 min. digestion time
whole milk cottage cheese - 120 min. digestion
whole milk hard cheese - 4 to 5 hours digestion time

Animal proteins

Egg yolk - 30 min. digestion time
Whole egg - 45 min.
Fish - cod, scrod, flounder, sole seafood - 30 min. digestion time
Fish - salmon, salmon trout, herring, (more fatty fish) - 45 min. to 60 digestion time
Chicken - 11/2 to 2 hours digestion time (without skin)
Turkey - 2 to 2 1/4 hours digestion time (without skin)
Beef, lamb - 3 to 4 hours digestion time
Pork - 41/2 to 5 hours digestion time

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Pork
  • Name: Peter
i was always under the impression that anything you eat is out the other end in 24 hours...digested or not.

I love my car. Buy your own

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

The stomach will empty in a maximum of 6 hours as long as it's all working correctly. This will happen regardless - that is why Corn is sometimes seen in the Poop(and other stuff but who looks). If something is not right, exiting will still occur but back the way it came.
The 24 hours from what I have been told is for the food to pass thru the colon, and a few hours to go thru the small bowel. I have heard 32 hours from start to finish but I am no Doctor(thank God) so I don't really know. As Ash has said, some times food is existing around the 6 hour mark, from what the Doc has told me in the past, this is because the system may have detected a "bug" or something not quite right and has fast tracked the process to exit the nasty ASAP.

Offline dkabab

Ive never heard of half of those items let alone eaten them….
i assume they are all green

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Ive never heard of half of those items let alone eaten them….
i assume they are all green

The doco was put together in Yank land so a lot of it refers to their foods, etc and yes I assume that most of them are green or yellow or blue........   :p

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Just something else to add:

OK, a work colleague's wife is an Anatomic Pathologist, which means that she does Autopsies. 
Her comment was that in all the time that she has been working as an Anatomic Pathologist, she has NEVER found red meat in the intestines, clogged, or lodged, or rotting there. The only meat found was from what the person had eaten a few hours before their untimely death.

Also, red meat has a lot of vital nutrients not found in other foods, specifically iron and B-Vitamins.

So this explains why Ash craves Steak so much, lack of Vitamin B due to being pissed all the time!!
(I just made that up)  :tilt:

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
 :confused:

An easy way to lose 20 lbs. in 30 days is to colon cleanse because...

* When you colon cleanse... You quickly flush out 10-to-20 pounds of undigested food, slime, and putrefied fecal matter trapped in your colon without exercising...

Yeah right.

http://www.nowloss.com/fast-easy-way-to-lose-20-pounds-in-30-days.htm

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan