Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Doesn't say what he was driving.

Oscar-winning actor Morgan Freeman is in a "serious" condition in hospital after being involved in a car crash, US media reports.

The 71-year-old star, who won an Academy Award for his role in 2004's Million Dollar Baby, was hospitalised after the crash late Sunday near Ruleville, Mississippi, reports said on Monday.

Details of Freeman's condition and injuries were unclear, however a spokesman for the Memphis Regional Medical Centre described them as "serious".

"All I can say is one word: His condition is serious," spokeswoman Kathy Stringer told People magazine. Other reports cited friends of the actor as saying he was sitting up in bed and talking.

Freeman, who is currently starring in Batman blockbuster The Dark Knight was hospitalised after the car he was driving went off the road and flipped several times reports said, citing the Mississippi Highway Patrol.

The editor of Sun Sentinel in Charleston, Clay McFerrin, said he arrived at the accident scene about 6.4km west of Charleston, not far from where Freeman owns a home with his wife.

"They had to use the jaws of life to extract him from the vehicle," McFerrin said. "He was lucid, conscious. He was talking, joking with some of the rescue workers at one point."

McFerrin said bystanders converged on the scene trying to get a glimpse of the actor.

When one person tried to snap a photo with a mobile phone camera, Freeman joked, "no freebies, no freebies," McFerrin said.

Freeman and his passenger were airlifted to the Regional Medical Centre in Memphis. Mississippi state police said the actor was talking before being transported to the hospital. The condition of his female passenger was unclear.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Oh dear - I did leave that one wide open. Not that I meant to.

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: TBA
  • Name: Peter
Miss Daisy :D

so no details on her condition? how rude!

I love my car. Buy your own

Offline Jamezilla

• Drives: BMWs for everyone!
  • Name: James
Sounds like he ran out of talent.
They were in a 1997 Nissan Maxima (go figure). Bags didn't deploy - passenger was OK though.