Offline S4Simon

• The Rubber King of Adelaide

• Drives: Something a metre high
Well I've been lucky enough to work in Melbourne, Vienna, Adelaide, Sydney, Copenhagen, Geneva, Zurich.  All I can say is  WTF: Melbourne at No. 2 -Eehgads, place reminds me of London... and I hate London.  I think Vienna is the one for me, and Adelaide a close second.  Probably from what I've heard (and seen on the Simpson's Movie) Toronto third.

Speaking of Vienna.  I was sitting in a park one afternoon on the outskirts of Vienna (lovely park it was too) and there was this women talking to her dog in German, and I thought to myself that the dog had no F****** idea what she was on about - neither did I for that matter.  Maybe if she spoke in English the dog might have had half a chance. :-)
I've been rich & I've been poor...

Rich is better

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Well I've been lucky enough to work in Melbourne, Vienna, Adelaide, Sydney, Copenhagen, Geneva, Zurich.  All I can say is  WTF: Melbourne at No. 2 -Eehgads, place reminds me of London... and I hate London.  I think Vienna is the one for me, and Adelaide a close second.  Probably from what I've heard (and seen on the Simpson's Movie) Toronto third.

Depends on your reference points, I guess.  I've never liked what most people like, so I'm sure my list would be different.  Depends on how much brass in pocket too perhaps.  If you drive a fast car, you can't score Melbourne too highly while there is a speed camera on every freeway gantry.  I

'd like a lot more excitement than Adelaide and Perth have to offer if I was starting from scratch.

Offline jim501

• Idiot Seeking Village

• Name: Cam
What!! Haven't they ever been to the Gold Coast  :agro: hehehe

If they moved Melbourne north a few thousand km's it would be the most liveable!

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
What!! Haven't they ever been to the Gold Coast  :agro: hehehe

If they moved Melbourne north a few thousand km's it would be the most liveable!

bah... bugger that. Humidity sucks.

Melbourne is just fine where it is!

It's got a great climate... nice and cosy around the fire for a few weeks in winter (and a short drive to the snow is handy)... just like the motherland.... then proper summers!

London is a "mostly" a shit hole, and Melbourne ain't NUFFIN like London...WTF!

Offline jim501

• Idiot Seeking Village

• Name: Cam
Guess they haven't actually met a Victorian either!

:D

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
 :D

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23131911-421,00.html

Don't let Melbourne become an 'Adelaide'

VICTORIAN Premier John Brumby has warned Melburnians they risk living in a "backwater" like Adelaide if Victoria is not allowed to push ahead with a plan to deepen a channel in Port Phillip Bay.

Mr Brumby said today the public should understand how vital the $1 billion dredging project was.

"This is very important to Melbourne, it's very important to Victoria," he said.

"If you want Melbourne to be a backwater, if you want Melbourne eventually to be an Adelaide - as someone described it the other day - well, don't do this project, and Melbourne will just die a slow death."

His comments came after the head of shipping company ANL said the controversial $1 billion dredging plan should not include the mouth of the Yarra River.

ANL chief executive Chris Lines told The Age newspaper that toxic sediment in the Yarra should not be dredged, and called on the Victorian Government to extend Webb Dock, just east of the river mouth.

Mr Brumby dismissed the call as simplistic, and said the existing dredging plan was the right one.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Cracks me up how people can be so worried about what other people think of where they live... 

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23843723-2,00.html

AUCKLAND is a better city to live in than any in Australia, and even windy Wellington tops Melbourne, Perth and Brisbane.

The latest rankings of quality of living in the world's major cities entrenches Australia's capitals among the top 35, with Sydney in 10th place, Melbourne in 17th, Perth 21st, Adelaide 29th and Brisbane 34th.

But Auckland comes 5th and Wellington 12th in the latest rankings by consulting firm Mercer, which measure the political, social, economic and environmental climate along with levels of education, health and safety, transport and public services.

The top five places on this year's list remained unchanged, with Zurich ahead of Vienna, Geneva, Vancouver and Auckland.

Swiss and German cities again dominate the top 10, with Dusseldorf, Munich and Frankfurt ranked seven, eight and nine.

Baghdad 'the worst'

African cities blanket the bottom end, with Kinshasa in the Democratic Republic of Congo and Khartoum in Sudan among the lowest 10.

The Iraqi capital Baghdad was considered worst of the 215 cities in which to live.

The annual global index is designed to assist companies and governments determine compensation packages when employees are relocated internationally.

Cities were rated on 39 quality-of-life criteria including political, social, economic and environmental factors, personal safety, health, education and transport.

This year's index has left some of  Australia's civic leaders reeling, particularly in Melbourne and Brisbane.

Melbourne anger

Municipal Association of Victoria president Dick Gross said he was surprised that Melbourne came in lower than Auckland and Wellington.

"I'm more than surprised, I'm verging on depressed, and I'm deeply appalled," he said.

"Melbourne does brilliantly on all measures, except public transport," he said.

Victorian Employers Chamber of Commerce and Industry spokesman Chris James said: "We are somewhat puzzled at this, particularly when one considers that people are leaving New Zealand and Sydney in droves and contributing to record population growth in Melbourne."

Brisbane ire

Brisbane slipped back by two places, and Commerce Queensland president Beatrice Booth  said: "I am extremely offended.

"I would have thought that we would have been well up the list, definitely above Sydney and Melbourne. Brisbane is more liveable. It's not as big, very workable, very business-oriented and growing, so there must be something that's attracting people to Brisbane."

Brisbane businesswoman Sarina Russo said: "I fail to understand why we have dropped because Brisbane has got to be one of the most international cities and one of the most liveable cities.

"I think Adelaide's got its beauty, but Brisbane is just so much more exciting as a city. When you arrive in Brisbane, there's atmosphere, energy, the arts. Do they know about our Picasso exhibition right now?"

And Brisbane Institute executive director Kay Saunders defended the city's quality of life, citing amenities such as South Bank, libraries and parks.

"I'm surprised that Sydney ranked higher than Brisbane," she said.  "I think Sydney would be very hard to live in."

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Pork
  • Name: Peter
i just came back from vienna. it'd be a lot more livable if they believed in air conditioning!!

I love my car. Buy your own