Offline Horse

• Hung like Einstein

i just came back from vienna. it'd be a lot more livable if they believed in air conditioning!!

I believe in you. :confused:
Why such a long face?

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Pork
  • Name: Peter
I believe in you. :confused:

that might just be because i'm hard to miss.

but seriously....i went to a number of quite upmarket places and a classical concert....everyone sat around sweating and complaining about how hot it is, but no one wants air conditioning.

zurich, otoh, is just lovely
I love my car. Buy your own

Offline leburpor

• Loves Tom Cruise

...but no one wants air conditioning.

Sounds like a legit reason for me to go over there on business, ASAP!!  :mischief:

Offline Aircon

Sounds like a legit reason for me to go over there on business, ASAP!!  :mischief:

my mum kept saying that...."you could make a fortune over here".....but it's just not in their culture.

Offline waz356

my mum kept saying that...."you could make a fortune over here".....but it's just not in their culture.

I think that was just a hint.  :doh:

Offline Aircon

I think that was just a hint.  :doh:

hmmmmmmmmmmm

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Another funny beat-up

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,24086781-2682,00.html

South Australians best work-life balance

SOUTH Australians have the equal best work-life balance in the nation, a new report has found.

Employees, however, still struggle with heavy workloads, long hours and unsupportive workplaces, the Work, Life and Workplace Culture report reveals.

Released to The Advertiser before being launched tomorrow, the SA-produced report surveyed 2831 workers representing the national workforce. Work-life balance was measured on a scale of 0 to 100, with lower scores showing better balance.

South Australians and Western Australians scored 39.3, better than the national mean score of 43. Queenslanders were worst at 44. Despite this, 68.3 per cent of all workers were satisfied with their overall work-life balance.

Produced by the Centre for Work+Life at the University of SA, the report is the second annual index of work and life in Australia and is part-funded by the State Government.

It found managers, professionals and workers in information, media, telecommunications and mining said they had the worst work-life balance.

The most common complaint was a lack of time with family and friends. Report co-author and centre director Barbara Pocock said work was "affecting a lot of people but especially people who are in a culture which is not supporting of work-life balance".

Professor Pocock said work "overload", long hours and a "mismatch" between hours worked and preferred hours were hard on employees.

While men and women both were under pressure at work, women were hit with a "double whammy" with home duties and mothers were even worse off.

"We need policy responses from managers and governments to deal with what is effectively understaffing in workplaces," she said.

Other findings were:

MORE than half of workers felt they often had too much work and frequently felt rushed.

IN a third of workplaces, work was expected to take priority over personal or family life.

MORE than a fifth of people worked 48 hours or more.

PART-time workers had better work-life balance than full-timers.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Another daft research study into the stupidity index

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,24210797-5007133,00.html

For a good life, head to the 'burbs

THE best places to live in Australia are in the suburbs of major cities - as long as you can afford to live in the right one.
Twenty-one of Australia's 25 most liveable communities are in urban suburbs of Sydney, Melbourne, Perth, Adelaide and Canberra, according to BankWest's inaugural Quality of Life Index.

The index challenges the idea that the best living is in seaside towns away from city stresses.
Melbourne is the most liveable city with four of the top 10 local government areas (LGA).

However, any old suburb won't do with wealthier suburbs in Sydney's north, Melbourne's east and Perth's west deemed the most liveable.

The top five LGA's according to the index are: Ku-ring-gai and Hunter's Hill in Sydney, Nillumbik in Melbourne, Peppermint Grove in Perth and Mosman in Sydney.

Nine of the top 25 LGAs with the best quality of life have an average house price over $1 million.

Twenty-one of the top 25 areas have a median house price much higher than the state median, with an average premium of $613,910 or 156 per cent.

BankWest retail chief Ian Corfield says the index dispels the sea-change and tree-change "myths" that the best quality of life is found in coastal towns, away from the hustle and bustle of big-city living.

"Although many Australians dream of living on the coast or in the country, in reality the best quality of life in Australia is found in the suburbs," Mr Corfield said.

"In the suburbs residents often have the best of all worlds with access to good schools, modern hospitals and reliable jobs but also large houses, fast internet connections and low crime rates."

The index drew on data from the census, the Australian Bureau of Statistics, the tax office and health authorities to rank Australia's 590 LGAs against 10 key criteria: income, employment levels, crime rates, internet access, health, education levels, home ownership, house size, proportion of empty homes and community involvement.

Although Melbourne was deemed the most liveable city Sydney was the country's best paid.

Of the 82 LGAs with an average taxable income above $50,000, 25 were in NSW.

Mosman ($126,884) topped the earnings list followed by Hunter's Hill ($125,177) and Woollahra ($114,191).

Queensland is Australia's jobs state with Barcoo in the central-west boasting 100 per cent employment.

Western Australia is the education state with thirteen local council areas having 100 per cent of 16-year-olds attending secondary school.

South Australia is the nation's good samaritan state with the highest volunteering rates in the country.

Australia's best health can be found among residents of the Snowy Mountains.

At the other end of the liveability index, remote Aboriginal communities in Western Australia, Queensland and the Northern Territory were found to have the lowest quality of life.

Halls Creek in WA was worst off followed closely by Woorabinda in Queensland and Meekatharra in WA.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

More :D

Melbourne Lord Mayor Robert Doyle says Adelaide should be shut down

MELBOURNE'S Lord Mayor Robert Doyle has angered Premier Mike Rann by suggesting Adelaide has "so little going for it that it should be shut down".

Mr Doyle made the comments in a Melbourne newspaper interview marking his first 100 days as Lord Mayor.

Adding to his critiques of other capital cities - he described Greater Brisbane as "almost a contradiction in terms" and Sydney as a city with a wallet instead of a heart" Mr Doyle said you could not even compare Adelaide to Melbourne, so devoid was it of redeeming qualities.

"We should immediately commence the orderly shutdown of Adelaide,""he said.

Tell Mr Doyle want you think. Fill out the comment box below.

But Mr Doyle's comments have provoked an angry reaction from state leaders, including Premier Mike Rann.

"They (Victorians) are so defensive," Mr Rann said.

"It's so interesting.

"They want to stop water flowing across the border, they want to treat the River Murray as if it's a river in four parts rather than one."

Mr Rann described Mr Doyle as "a failed Liberal Opposition Leader and he's got the second prize of Lord Mayor of Melbourne".

"No one's going to take much notice of him because no one takes much notice of him in Melbourne either," Mr Rann said.

Mr Doyle, a former Victorian state opposition leader, who has been praised for re-engaging Town Hall in debate about the city, is asking people to be patient and realise he has little power as Lord Mayor. "I see myself more as a catalyst, as a lever, as an influencer," he said.

Mr Rann said Victorians hated the fact that the Tour Down Under had been such a success.

"They don't like the fact about Clipsal, they don't like the fact that our festival and film festival are the best in the nation that the Fringe is the best in the country," Mr Rann said.

"Basically it's a new Lord Mayor who is trying to make a name for himself. He has been sledging every other city around Australia.

"Why doesn't he concentrate on doing his job rather than basically what appears to be city envy."

Opposition Leader Martin Hamilton-Smith said it sounded like Mr Doyle and Victorian Premier John Brumby (who last year called Adelaide a "backwater") had been having a few sherries at the Melbourne Club.

"I think we should cut the rope to Mr Doyle's dinghy and let him sail off to Antarctica," he said.

"They both sound out of touch."

Adelaide Lord Mayor Michael Harbison said Mr Doyle's comments, if quoted accurately, were "a bit silly" but there was a "grain of truth".

"I believe Melbourne does, in fact, pose a real threat to us, losing our young people," he said.

"(Our capital) could be effectively ceded to Melbourne if we don't get on with improving our city and building a critical mass of residents and workers in the CBD."

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,27574,25189927-2682,00.html