Offline dkabab

yeah adelaide is a backwater city.... but thats whats great about it. its busy enough without being crowded

Offline Rat Boy

• 1158 : 143

Pfff... You don't know the meaning of the word "crowded"... :D
Cheers>>Jack

If you're not wasted, the day is.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Aussie cities on world's most-liveable list, Economist Intelligence Unit's 2009 Liveability survey finds

Predictable choice ... the Austrian city of Vienna has been named the world's most liveable centre / AP

* Vienna ranks world's number-one city
    * Aussie cities rate well
    * Melbourne and Perth get top marks

AUSTRALIAN cities occupy five of the top 20 places in a British survey ranking the liveability of 140 of the world's major centres.

Melbourne ranked third in the world, behind Vancouver in Canada and the Austrian city of Vienna in the Economist Intelligence Unit's 2009 Liveability survey.

It assessed 140 cities based on stability, health care, education, infrastructure and culture and environment, giving each one a rating out of 100.

Perth was equal fifth with Calgary in Canada, with Sydney sharing ninth place with Zurich in Switzerland, Adelaide in 11th place and Brisbane 16th on the list.

As well as Vancouver and Calgary, Canadian cities also featured strongly in the top 20, with Toronto (4th) and Montreal (17th).

The New Zealand cities of Auckland and Wellington finished 12th and 23rd respectively.

US centres were well down the list. Pittsburgh ranked highest, in 29th place.

The highest-ranked Asian city was Osaka in Japan (13th). The next highest was Hong Kong (equal 39th with Madrid, Spain) followed by Singapore (54th) and Seoul, South Korea (58th).
Related Coverage

The worst city to live on earth is Harare, the strife-torn capital of Zimbabwe.

"The performance of Asian cities reflects the diverse levels of development throughout the region,'' EIU spokesman Jon Copestake said.

"Australian cities represent many of the best aspects of liveability, while instability in countries like Pakistan and Bangladesh means that cities in South Asia fare much worse.''

The Economist Intelligence Unit is a branch of The Economist Group, which publishes The Economist, a weekly news magazine, in London.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/story/0,28318,25608641-5014090,00.html

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Sydney voted world's best city
Angela Saurine

SYDNEY has been ranked the world's number one city for the eighth consecutive year by one of the world's most prestigious travel magazine.

The Harbour City beat San Francisco, Paris, Rome and Melbourne in the annual Conde Nast Traveller Reader's Choice Awards in New York.

More than 25,000 readers of the US magazine also voted Sydney the best city in the Australia-Pacific for a record 21st year.

Vancouver was the number one city in The Americas, San Francisco in the US, Florence in Europe, Cape Town in South Africa and Ubud was top in Asia.

Readers were asked to rate different global cities on a variety of criteria, including ambience, friendliness, culture and sights, restaurants, lodging and shopping.

NSW Tourism Minister Jodi McKay said the ranking was a fantastic endorsement by the travel-savvy readers.

”Visitors obviously enjoyed the very best of Sydney including our laid-back lifestyle, our iconic attractions and the beauty of our natural environment,” she said.

”This reward is a fantastic honour for the State2s tourism and hospitality sector and confirms what many residents already know – that Sydney is the best city in the world.”

Sydney received close to 2.6 million international overnight visitors in the last financial year.

Visitors spent nearly 51.5 million nights in Sydney, up by 6.9 per cent the previous year and spent more $5.2 billion during their stay.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/story/0,28318,26228588-5004782,00.html

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
Sounds like they mean Best City in the World.............................................to visit. 

exactly....

livable my arse! Cost of living/average wage is not a good ratio at all in Syd IMO.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

:D

Melbourne tells itself: 'We're the best'
By Matt Johnston

Victorian Premier John Brumby says Melbourne has the edge when it comes to arts, sport and romance

* Melbourne voted most liveable city - poll
    * Victorians 'envy of the rest of Australia'
    * 'Sydney used to be ahead, but not anymore'

VICTORIANS were the "envy" of other Australians and Melbourne was the most liveable capital city in Australia by a "long, long way", Premier John Brumby said.

The Herald Sun reports a new Roy Morgan poll of 1200 Australians showed Melbourne was more liveable than Sydney and other Australian capital cities.

Mr Brumby trumpeted the results at a major economics conference at the University of Melbourne today.

He said the survey, which was commissioned by the Victorian Government and carried out in June, showed every Victorian should get credit for their willingness to get involved in large-scale events.

“This research shows we are the envy of the rest of Australia,” Mr Brumby said.

"What it shows is that we have got the liveability edge, whether you are talking about arts, whether you are talking about sport, whether you are talking about... romance.

“If you go back to the 1990s that was very different, where Sydney was miles ahead in all of these areas.''

He resisted the temptation to take a swipe at the other states, however, saying they still had “great cities”.

“I think we are lucky in Australia, we have got great cities," he said.

"What this story says is that all of the work that has gone on (in Victoria) building events, building the arts, building sport... the vibrancy of our nightlife, cafes and streetwalks and so on, all of these things come together and just give us an edge in Melbourne."

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,26308341-421,00.html

Offline app

I don't envy Victoria, in fact these stupid wanker comments make me dislike it more. :doh:

with brumby dribbling the amount of BS he does about Vic these days is just going to make the rest of Australia hate them more IMO. 

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

I reckon Melbourne is pretty good.  I'm always happy to be there.  I love the little lanes in the city.  :thumbsup:

Offline app

I reckon Melbourne is pretty good.  I'm always happy to be there.  I love the little lanes in the city.  :thumbsup:

don't get me wrong, i LOVE melbourne, but hearing brumby dribbling crap all the time just get's tiring.