Offline mirinbrah

• Drives: Public Transport
  • Name: Anthony
What are your thoughts? I'm 14 and I'm relatively good at English (it may not show here :D) but as cars is my number one passion and English is one of my favourite subjects I'd thought I'd mix them both together. Sure it wouldn't be a high paying job (I don't think) but, it seems like a job that I could actually work hard at.

A few years back I wanted to do engineering but science and maths aren't my best subjects. In fact, science is probably the worst subject I'm at. Sure it pays a lot but the amount of effort put in seems a lot as well.

Do you think it would hard to get into motor journalism? Something like writing for a magazine

Offline fivesix

Im sure a few guys here can't point out the career path should you wish to follow it!

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Do you think it would hard to get into motor journalism? Something like writing for a magazine

It'll be hard - like most things that are worth doing. Go for it!

You'll improve your chances if you can talk to a camera too.  That seems to be the way the car magazine world is heading.

Offline dkabab

I think it's all heading to smaller independent journalist, YouTube channels etc...

Magazines don't make the money they used to. YouTube and advertising are the way to go

Offline mirinbrah

• Drives: Public Transport
  • Name: Anthony
I think it's all heading to smaller independent journalist, YouTube channels etc...

Magazines don't make the money they used to. YouTube and advertising are the way to go
Yeah maybe something like Youtube like TheSmokingTire or something like that.

Offline dkabab

Yeah maybe something like Youtube like TheSmokingTire or something like that.

They're a prime example. They went from "tst" to their new show called driven, from what I gather without googling, is they got picked up by a network, or maybe an online netvestor (made that word up) and now they probably get paid good money.

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A red car.
Great suggestions... the camera will be your best friend especially if it has quality HD video as well for youtube videos ... if you want to get some freelance experience you should email the magazines and ask what they would require from you.

You could start a Youtube channel and cover all kinds of things from cars to X-Games type sports so that you build up a large subscriber base. Do that along with your own website, twitter and facebook page and you may not need a job when you leave school. You might have people asking to work for you.

Australian Street Rodding magazine is always happy to work with freelancers. Send them a message or make a call. Larry that owns the magazine is one of the nicest people Ive ever met. You could go to an event, do a write up and take some pics. It wont pay a fortune but will look great on a resume for future job references.
http://www.letsgocruisin.com.au/cruisin-events-sa2012.html This link has events that you could do write ups for Aust Street Rodding if you're interested in doing that.

Offline BigD

Does you Dad/Uncle/Brother belong to a car club? Go along with them to an event, take some photos and submit an article to their newsletter. The same could be said for any other club that has a newsletter to get some experience (school magazine, local sports club, etc). Most of those newsletters are made up of volunteers and are happy for any input.

Try and line-up some work experience over schol holidays with a newspaper or magazine.

Schools usually have a Career's teacher to help with what classes to take for a career or university entry. Or they may even help with the whole work experience thing.

But they guys are probably correct that Youtube/Facebook/Wordpress Blog is probably be the avenue of the future.