Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
I don't miss the hangover/cost at all. I agree with you 100%, that once you are off, it's not that tempting to jump back on...

What if you didn't get hangovers, and could afford it?

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

I don't miss the hangover/cost at all. I agree with you 100%, that once you are off, it's not that tempting to jump back on...

I never drank a drop of alcohol till I was 23, then, as one would, drank heavily with my mates.  These days, many of my mates can drink quite a bit, I may have 1-2 glasses of wine per month.  There is no social temptation for me to drink, I'll have a glass of wine with a nice steak, or a cold beer with fish and chips -  those combos go too well together.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

I just passed the two year mark.  :eek:

The Tassie trip will always remind me.... :p

Offline blackr35

I'm at around one year without booze - haven't missed it one jot. It served its purpose - but don't need it, don't want it, don't miss it.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Not a drop at all????

Ash has more than made up for it......

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Not a drop at all????

Not a single drop.  If I had even a sip, I'd need to reset the tripmeter and start from scratch.

Offline app

Nice work mhh :thumbsup:

Do you mind me asking why you gave it up? Also if your reasoning to not drink now is the same as when you had your last drink two years ago?

I saw your post on the parties bit, I wondered about that and found it interesting. I've gone out at night and not drank any alcohol because I didn't feel like it. My mates/acquaintances would frown upon me and I found the more I did it the less the less enthusiastic they became about asking me to come out.

To me with alcohol, I could go a month without it simply because I don't feel like it, but when I go to work functions it's hard to say no, it almost seems like it's a 'requirement'.

It is almost as though Australian adult social life depends on it...

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Ash has more than made up for it......

Nowadays I only drink 80 proof, I'm not sure why the other 20 is unproven.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

I disagree - I go out all the time and don't drink......my ticket is just too important.

But when I get the taste, it goes down good. Although now days it's not very often......

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

I've gone out at night and not drank any alcohol because I didn't feel like it. My mates/acquaintances would frown upon me and I found the more I did it the less the less enthusiastic they became about asking me to come out.

To me with alcohol, I could go a month without it simply because I don't feel like it, but when I go to work functions it's hard to say no, it almost seems like it's a 'requirement'.

All of this is true.  Drinkers find non-drinkers make them uncomfortable. I know I used to feel that way about someone who claimed to be enjoying themselves while drinking water.  I think it is because a drinker feels they are being judged by the non-drinker.

Why did I give up?  To feel better for a week, then a month.  After that, it was curiosity.  Now I'm out of the habit.  I like the freedom of being able to do anything, any time.  Now I go days, even weeks without thinking about drink.  But in the beginning, it was on my mind a lot.  I've been a steady drinker all my life.  Not one to get completely smashed but I've had my share of hangovers.  Not sure if I'll use it again - maybe, maybe not.