Offline akatyk

Has anyone noticed, but pedestrians think they have a right of way these days. I understand that in Sydney on Friday and Saturday night there are a lot of drunk people, which results in a slalom type driving, but even at day time you have people crossing the road and thinking the cars will stop for them. I particularly don't understand those with kids that do that! And better still, they start cursing at you if you do not stop, never to stop and think that the car stopping will be creating dangerous conditions to let them through. Police needs to crack down on this behaviour.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Forum to be told cars must be abandoned as population grows
By Ashley Gardiner

There is "no other option" but for cars to make way for the three Ps: public transport, pedestrians and pushbikes

* Melbourne's population nearing five million
    * Cars must make ways for other options
    * Public transport, pedestrians, pushbikes

IF you're fit and well enough to walk, you will be better off leaving the car at home in future.

That's the message for Melbourne as the city's population nears five million.

A University of Melbourne forum, Melbourne@5 million, will be told today that there is no other option but for cars to make way for the three Ps: public transport, pedestrians and pushbikes.

Prof Nicholas Low said the inner city of the future would have to change, the Herald Sun reports.

Shopping strips such as Chapel St, Brunswick St, Sydney Rd and High St, Armadale, are likely to be overhauled.

"If you're healthy and fit you can walk the distance, you can catch public transport," Prof Low said.

"You're probably better off on a tram than sitting in a car, looking for a park and not finding one."

Busy shopping strips needed to be overhauled to accommodate high-speed trams and more pedestrians.

"I wouldn't expect to keep the cars out entirely, but just sort of keep them under control," Prof Low said.

"People on foot have a lot less space per person than people in a car."

But cars would still be an important form of transport for the elderly and disabled.

"Of course, there have to be cars. Some people need them," he said.

"Many people using a car can actually do well by another mode."

Prof Low, director of the university's Centre of the Governance and Management of Urban Transport, said the inner city would develop along existing tram lines.

In the outer suburbs, more effort would be needed to co-ordinate trains and buses. Trains should run exactly every 15 minutes.

"So people can always say there will be a train at such-and-such past the hour," Prof Low said.

"You can't run very frequent trains in a low-density environment. It's not economically viable."

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,26398205-421,00.html

Offline Steve.

• Drives: AMG.
  • Name: Steve
Public transport would be great if it went where I wanted and if it were convenient to take things on it.

Even if there was public transport anywhere near me I couldn't imagine struggling with bus connections with my golf clubs, cases of beer or wine, groceries that need to be kept cool, etc. I think I'll continue to drive  :thumbsup:

Offline PA

• One man comedy gala

I have to drive, can't the bloody bus numbers when I'm pissed.

Offline akatyk

Yeah, Melbourne's system I have to say is better than Sydney's in terms of public transport. I absolutely love the trams! I don't know a sane person catching a bus in Sydney - they are always late and unreliable. They are so to such an extent, that I know people opt to catch a ferry instead of the bus.