Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Ever thought of getting into airplanes?

There was a great show on telly on the weekend which featured a dozen or so folk who'd bought ex-fighter jets and stuff and flew them around for fun.  Thing is, I was expecting staggering prices only fit for tycoons and moguls, but was surprised to hear some of the numbers being thrown about for 60/70's ex-military aircraft - basically, they were in the ballpark of new exotics.

Eg, one of the planes they showed was the L-39 Albatross - which is still in active service in many airforces - and can be picked up for US$200-300k, and to get into a Mig wasn't a huge amount more I think. :tilt:

---> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aero_L-39_Albatros

I've always wanted to be a pilot, but once I got too old to really join the airforce I figgered I'd be stuck with those ugly little Cessnas and stuff, but it turns out a fighter jet is almost as achievable as a Lamborghini! 

I just wonder, what's the deal on being able to fly them?

Offline waz356

Ever thought of getting into airplanes?

There was a great show on telly on the weekend which featured a dozen or so folk who'd bought ex-fighter jets and stuff and flew them around for fun.  Thing is, I was expecting staggering prices only fit for tycoons and moguls, but was surprised to hear some of the numbers being thrown about for 60/70's ex-military aircraft - basically, they were in the ballpark of new exotics.

Eg, one of the planes they showed was the L-39 Albatross - which is still in active service in many airforces - and can be picked up for US$200-300k, and to get into a Mig wasn't a huge amount more I think. :tilt:

---> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aero_L-39_Albatros

I've always wanted to be a pilot, but once I got too old to really join the airforce I figgered I'd be stuck with those ugly little Cessnas and stuff, but it turns out a fighter jet is almost as achievable as a Lamborghini! 

I just wonder, what's the deal on being able to fly them?

I saw the program. You're forgetting the maintenence/running costs. The English Electric Lightning in South Africa went through a car's petrol tank full of fuel every 5 seconds and for every hour in the air required 75 hours maintenence. The L-39 would be somewhat cheaper. I know Ferrari's are expensive to run but...

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

I saw the program. You're forgetting the maintenence/running costs. The English Electric Lightning in South Africa went through a car's petrol tank full of fuel every 5 seconds and for every hour in the air required 75 hours maintenence. The L-39 would be somewhat cheaper. I know Ferrari's are expensive to run but...

Not forgetting, I paid a lot of attention to that and I wasn't talking about the Lightning, but the L-39 or the Mig seemed quite reasonable, considering most people buying a brand new $500k car are losing $100-150k of that in the first 2 years ON TOP of their running costs.  Just saying when I get to the stage of looking at brand new Lamborghinis as a serious option, I'll be doing more homework on the possibilities of this.

Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

• Drives: to and from everywhere
  • Name: Shane
  • www: Flamestone.com
I have to admit that I prefer the idea of just jumping in and going, rather than getting to an airfield etc... but I guess that just means the dream property needs to have its own runway as well as the race track :thumbsup:

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

True, but it's a sad fact that it's taking longer and longer to get to anywhere you can really enjoy a car - and even then it's still a huge risk to do anything within 50% of a car's capabilities without going for a track day.

Going out for an hour once or twice a month in a fighter jet would be dam cool.  Perhaps P1 should think about adding a couple to their fleet... :scratchchin:

Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

• Drives: to and from everywhere
  • Name: Shane
  • www: Flamestone.com
True, but it's a sad fact that it's taking longer and longer to get to anywhere you can really enjoy a car - and even then it's still a huge risk to do anything within 50% of a car's capabilities without going for a track day.

Also very true, which is probably why you can see me offroad in a 4WD more often than in a sports car.

Going out for an hour once or twice a month in a fighter jet would be dam cool.  Perhaps P1 should think about adding a couple to their fleet... :scratchchin:

Close, but not close enough I suppose:
http://www.jetgroup.com.au/

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Close, but not close enough I suppose:
http://www.jetgroup.com.au/

Yeah, that's like going out looking for a Lamborghini and coming home with a Limo instead.

Offline waz356

I have to admit that I prefer the idea of just jumping in and going, rather than getting to an airfield etc... but I guess that just means the dream property needs to have its own runway as well as the race track :thumbsup:

I like some of the communities that are springing up in the US based around racetracks. All private, invitation only, onsite workshops, etc. And from what I've seen the tracks are configurable so you can vary length, add and remove some sections etc. so you're not just doing the same thing over and over. Build a nice house with a 30 car garage and it'd be perfect.

Offline 98octane

Just found this thread.  I've often thought about this too.

Found this ultimate VIP helicopter - Russian Mi-24 Hind gunship with warpaint fitted out with full cream leather interior.

http://www.aircraftbargains.com/ad/ad2046.asp