Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

This has been coming for a while. The Libs won't fix it - there are no votes in it. Welcome to the brave new world of the webinar!  :p

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
This has been coming for a while. The Libs won't fix it - there are no votes in it. Welcome to the brave new world of the webinar!  :p

If I had a kid, the only real reason I'd send them to school is for the social adaptation and other generic life skills.

Well, that - and to get the freakin' brat out of my hair for most of the day.

Offline Paulstar

This sucks, I've been ramping up my investment in professional self education over the last year and probably spent over 2k so far with a view to invest more next year...webinars and googling are great and I've learned a lot but there is immense value in going to a class like setting - getting in early and quizzing the lecturer, staying late and asking more questions then emailing them for further support..then sometimes you run into smart people at these things too.

Without a cap on the amount that can be claimed under this deduction, it's possible to make large claims for expenses such as first class airfares, five star accommodation and expensive courses.
http://ministers.treasury.gov.au/wmsDisplayDocs.aspx?doc=pressreleases/2013/048.htm&pageID=003&min=wms&Year=&DocType=0
 :doh:

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

This sucks, I've been ramping up my investment in professional self education over the last year and probably spent over 2k so far with a view to invest more next year...webinars and googling are great and I've learned a lot but there is immense value in going to a class like setting - getting in early and quizzing the lecturer, staying late and asking more questions then emailing them for further support..then sometimes you run into smart people at these things too.
http://ministers.treasury.gov.au/wmsDisplayDocs.aspx?doc=pressreleases/2013/048.htm&pageID=003&min=wms&Year=&DocType=0
 :doh:

Blame the health professionals who turned conference-going in Aspen into an art form. There's nothing to stop people still going to conferences - it's just that they can't tax-deduct the $30K holiday wrapped around it any more.

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

Blame the health professionals who turned conference-going in Aspen into an art form. There's nothing to stop people still going to conferences - it's just that they can't tax-deduct the $30K holiday wrapped around it any more.

the politicians do it even better, they send their whole office to to overseas fact finding trips with a mix of business and first class.

In all seriousness, a day seminar is usually over $1k ( excluding travel and accommodation) to maintain registration requirements you need 3 days worth.  The better ones are usually interstate ( Adelaide always misses out), so there go any chance of claiming travel expenses. 

the $2k in claims also includes, journals and some professional association memberships.

the problem with webinars ( which are growing in popularity) is that there is nobody policing it, load it on your computer, go out to for a meal while it's playing and you have your required education points.

So, what happens to the quality of continuing education?

Offline blackr35

Quite happy to sign the petition but in reality, costs will just have to increase/it will be a business expense.