Offline Sparkz

• Drives: Datsun

Offline beankeen456

Absolutely shattering news, on his day he was incredible, feel incredibly sorry for Sean Abbott, he must feel absolutely terrible.

Offline scud

• 300kph+ club
  • Rocket man

RIP

My son's team and the opposition will be holding a minutes silence before we start this Saturday.

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

Absolutely shattering news on his day he was incredible, feel incredibly sorry for Sean Abbott, he must feel absolutely terrible.

I feel terribly for Abbott, this could end his career unless he gets some very good counselling.

Next time he delivers a ball all he'll see is a re run of the Hughes incident  :( and it wasn't his fault at all BUT he will still have to live with it.

Offline scud

• 300kph+ club
  • Rocket man

I feel terribly for Abbott, this could end his career unless he gets some very good counselling.

Next time he delivers a ball all he'll see is a re run of the Hughes incident  :( and it wasn't his fault at all BUT he will still have to live with it.
so true.

bit like Dave Reynolds, was driving an open top rally car up mt bullar in the wet that crashed and killed the navigator.

sorry for off topic.

Offline dkabab

so true.

bit like Dave Reynolds, was driving an open top rally car up mt bullar in the wet that crashed and killed the navigator.

sorry for off topic.

good friend of mine hit and killed a pedestrian 2 weeks ago... guy ran across the road in front of him... he's struggling to deal with it.

Hughes was unlucky, but had he pulled through, things wouldn't have been the same for him.

i have a mate i grew up with who had a similar accident 10 years ago. was playing baseball in usa, was being scouted by the la dodgers, was pitching and received a ball hit straight back at him. hit him in the temple, fell down and hit his head on the ground. he was lucky to survive, but he's not the same. medium level brain damage, loss of coordination, changed personality, speech impediment, impaired vision, memory loss.... yeah he's independent now, but he has struggled hard for the last 10 years to get where he is.

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

This is what happened -

Australian team doctor Peter Brukner has explained the circumstances that led to cricketer Phillip Hughes’ death today.

In an emotional press conference at St Vincent’s hospital, Dr Brukner said a key blood vessel had been damaged when a short ball struck Hughes in the neck while batting.

“Phillip took the blow at the side of the neck and as a result of that blow, his vertebral artery – one of the main arteries to the brain – was compressed by the ball,” he said.

“That caused the artery to split and for bleeding to go up into the brain.

“This is frequently fatal at the time. However, Phillip was resuscitated by Dr John Orchard, the Cricket NSW doctor, and paramedical staff.”

Offline Steve355F1

• Drives: 355F1 GTS
Shattered.
Haven't been so affected by something on the sporting arena for a long time.
Test Cricket is my favourite sport (ahead of motor racing. Sorry :))

Feel terribly sorry for Sean Abbott, too. Must be going through hell.

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

Very rare indeed, this should be of some consolation to Abbott -

Australian team doctor Peter Brukner said there were only 100 cases of his condition ever reported.

"I think in this instance, this was a freakish accident because it was an injury to the neck that caused haemorrhage in the brain," Dr Brukner said.

"The condition is incredibly rare. It's called vertebral artery dissection leading to subarachnoid haemorrhage, only 100 cases ever reported.

"[There has been] only one case reported as a result of a cricket ball

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-11-27/phillip-hughes-doctors-say-injury-extremely-rare/5923282