Offline j15

Humble me recently purchased his first property, a small unit. It's a nice enough place and I'll be comfortable there. However, while structurally sound, it is becoming increasingly obvious that the place was built to a budget, particularly in relation to the water works.

Low quality fittings were been poorly installed when the place was built 10ish years ago. I have had to get the odd leak repaired already. I have decided that I want to overhaul all my tap fittings to stop this from happening repeatedly.

Can any of you please recommend a plumber/guru in the Sydney area (I'm in the St George region) who can supply and install some better quality stuff for me? Don't mind paying for quality, just don't want to be gouged.

Ta.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Find a good Plumber that will install your own supplied fittings.

If you get them to supply the bits it will cost you 30% extra than if you grab them yourself at a Plumbing wholesaler.....

I will never buy the budget stuff from Bunnings ever again, don't ask.......

Offline futurism

• Drives: Regretfully sold my GT3
  • Name: David
my place is about 10 years old
the pipe above the taps that goes to the shower head started leaking
it ended up costing me over 2k to get fixed plus painting the downstairs ceiling myself to cover the water damage etc

3 different plumbers were needed to correctly diagnose and fix it, and now the tiles in my shower dont quite match and it made a huge mess!

good luck!

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Again, this is one thing that gives me the shits.

I know I can do this stuff myself and do a 100 times better job that will last a lot longer as well.

But you aren't allowed to do it yourself, you have to get someone in that is "licensed".

There has been many times where I have fixed the job after the Plumber, Sparky has been there......but don't get me started..... 

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

The Bunnings stuff fit a segment of the market -  and it suits that segment.

Quality fittings ( such as Grohe and Hansa from germany and KWC from New Zealand) are very expensive, however you can purchase these from the UK for a fraction of what they sell in Australia, and you can even ask for them to be configured to Australian WELS standards.

If you choose to buy locally most plumbing suppliers will often provide a decent package price and if you are very friendly with a volume builder that is willing to buy for you then there is a huge savings to be made ( around 30-40% or RRP), and most offerings can also be found on ebay.

If you are handy even to a slight degree replacing tapware is not difficult -  just make sure you use a good quality teflon tape.

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

But you aren't allowed to do it yourself, you have to get someone in that is "licensed".

I dont think you have to be licensed to change a tap fitting or a tap washer.  Gas works is entirely a different matter -  not rocket science but not worth the risk -  I attempt most everything but I wont touch gas.

I wont talk about electrical suffice to say neutral earth is the most important wire.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

The Bunnings stuff fit a segment of the market -  and it suits that segment.

Bunnings do have some really good quality stuff now, I was talking about the budget stuff....

But I can get the good stuff from the local wholesaler a crap load cheaper than Bunnings.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

I dont think you have to be licensed to change a tap fitting or a tap washer.  Gas works is entirely a different matter -  not rocket science but not worth the risk -  I attempt most everything but I wont touch gas.

I wont talk about electrical suffice to say neutral earth is the most important wire.

It's a grey area - when I had a leak on the Toilet tap, the insurance company wanted to see the Plumbers certificate as the installation was only done a few years before the problem. I had one so it wasn't an issue but I know the assessor and he told me that if they suspect that it was a home handy man job they don't have to cover it unless that certificate can be presented.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

I dont think you have to be licensed to change a tap fitting or a tap washer. 

Actually, I think you will find that it can't be done as a DIY here in Vic, needs to be done by a Plumber.

Can't find the info just at the moment but I think this is the case in SA as well.

A lot of DIY sites have a disclaimed on their site saying something like:

(BIG Note: In some parts of Australia it is illegal to change tap washers you must call in a licensed plumber to do the job. Check with the water supply authority in your own state.)

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

http://www.pic.vic.gov.au/www/html/212-why-is-a-compliance-certificate-important.asp

Not so long ago my sparky had to install some up/down exterior wall lights -  he was moaning that he couldnt pass the wire into the junction box and there by connect them because there was no room -  told me to replace them for larger ones.  Called him the next day to come over and check the wiring as I had installed them - he was bamboozled as to how I managed to wire up such a confined space -  nonetheless he checked the wiring to ensure it was compliant.