Offline NSX

• The Cow Whisperer

• Drives: Honda NSX
Family getting an early Chrissy present albeit if its in the ground and full of water by the end of the week.

Decided if there's going to be added work for me cleaning maintaining the pool i may as well get a workout as well.

Four swimjets should be enough to push me back.

I have a fluid dynamics question about flow and equalization. The last pic has two options for plumbing return jets the top option i would assume due to reduced number of turns would flow better with less restriction but will the flow from each outlet be the same.

Wheras the bottom option would provide equal outlet flow but would be more restricted.

All the 90 degree bends are sweep elbows to assist flow and reduce restriction making the pumps work more efficiently.

Offline MikeG

• The World's Finest Brands

• Drives: E93 BMW M3
  • Name: Mike Glew
T junctions will kill the flow.  "Mandrel bent" turns are the way to go - is it possible to get a y-pipe that has a splitter and bends in plastic - I'm guessing not...
Mike
www.bestexhaust.com.au
1800 985 925

Offline NSX

• The Cow Whisperer

• Drives: Honda NSX
T junctions will kill the flow.  "Mandrel bent" turns are the way to go - is it possible to get a y-pipe that has a splitter and bends in plastic - I'm guessing not...

Yeah a Y piece is what i was looking for the top option would flow better but i want to make sure the flows would be the same.

Offline MikeG

• The World's Finest Brands

• Drives: E93 BMW M3
  • Name: Mike Glew
Flow would be pretty close if you get close to the flow capacity of the pipe.  Anything less and you'll get good flow in the first outlet and the balance in the second.  Test it out with the pump before you attach it up...  Should be easy to see if the pump has enough flow for that setup.

You might want to go smaller bore pipe for the outlets.
Mike
www.bestexhaust.com.au
1800 985 925

Offline mtarone

We had the same idea as you Les and bought the family a pool but I wouldn't know where to start installing it so had the professionals do it. They are trying to complete the job including landscaping before Christmas. When I left this morning there were 8 guys in the backyard. I've been told there will be even more tomorrow  :eek:

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Chief Muppet Wrangler @ Drugs.R.Us Badlands Sector

• Drives: Slowly and carefully
I lived in my last house for 25 years. It had a pool that cost a bomb to run and I reckon I used it a dozen times at most. Built the current house without a pool and then had kids a few years later. Now I have to take them to a pool twice a week :doh:

Offline Fil-Ski

• Name: Scuderia
I lived in my last house for 25 years. It had a pool that cost a bomb to run and I reckon I used it a dozen times at most. Built the current house without a pool and then had kids a few years later. Now I have to take them to a pool twice a week :doh:
Just get the younger one to drive his older brother to the pool.

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Electric everything
  • Name: Peter

lol...you can't do anything right!
I love my car. Buy your own

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Electric everything
  • Name: Peter
Just get the younger one to drive his older brother to the pool.

^^^^^^^hahahahaha...crack up
I love my car. Buy your own

Offline David B

Hi Thought I would add my 2 cents worth...  Used to work in chemical industry, water treatment so know piping/pump issues big time.

You always have two issues with these type of systems; pressure and volume (flow).
Your pump will have a flow rate at a set pressure, and a maximum pressure that if you go over screws up the pump.
(you probably knew that but just to be sure)

The T piece isnt a problem if the nozzle oulets Restrict the flow evenly if not you will get different flows depending upon the openness of the restriction.   The Question is really about what you are trying to achieve,  the smaller the restriction the volume will have a higher velocity at a given pressure.

I suggest building it with the ability to change the restriction sizes of the nozzles so you can find the optimum for you swimimng against the flow,  it may me large outlet high flow high volume or smaller outlet, high velocity, less flow less volume.    Look for a known system that works  and build close to that spec, keeping the ability to change outlet nozzles as described.

Hope that helps.