Offline psw

• Keep smiling

I hope I wasn't commenting on someone's actual house  :-[, the place is obviously stunning but it's the setting that makes it.......IMO
I suspect it's just a guest accommodation pavilion, on as you say a beautiful property/setting.
Keep Smiling

Offline JBO

• Drives: Something that doesn't meet my aspirations...yet...
matthew must be reading these forums as I got a response from him just now

Sorry, but unable to assist.  Damn shame for him as I was planning on doing something special with concrete, lifts ( people and cars) rammed earth, infinity pool and views

Hey mate I am a bit of an architecture nerd and know a few amazing practices. Would you like a few suggestions?
This anonymous clan of slack-jawed troglodytes has cost me the election, and yet if I were to have them killed, I would be the one to go to jail. That's democracy for you. - C Montgomery Burns.

Offline B2

• Slowest Ferrari Owner

What is the secret to finding a good architect?  My plan is to bulldoze my house and rebuild at some point.  I know what I want but hard to put on paper and obviously would benefit from a good architect.

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: TBA
  • Name: Peter
What is the secret to finding a good architect?  My plan is to bulldoze my house and rebuild at some point.  I know what I want but hard to put on paper and obviously would benefit from a good architect.

I can tell you from seeing it over and over...that question is impossible to answer.
I love my car. Buy your own

Offline Joel

What is the secret to finding a good architect?

Finding one who realizes that you're paying the bill and they work for you.

The current project I'm on has the best architect I have worked with. He gets things done and answers questions within a day or 2. His stylistic flair may not be as good as others but he knows his shit and gets it done.

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

Finding one who realizes that you're paying the bill and they work for you.

The current project I'm on has the best architect I have worked with. He gets things done and answers questions within a day or 2. His stylistic flair may not be as good as others but he knows his shit and gets it done 3.  Also ensure that the drawings are highly detailed so that no one is scratching their heads wondering how to get some of the details done.

^^^^^^^
this

same goes for interior designers

Its important to meet with a few to 1.  know you will get along without clashing, 2. ensure their design style matches yours

Also, many have their own time agendas that may not match yours, watch out for that and watch out for those that will charge you a % of the build costs.

There are also some gifted draftsmen around.

Offline Fortis

• 300kph+ club

MCK, they completed our house back in '04 as a relatively young & new practice, it won them a lot of awards & recognition back then, they've won a Wilkinson since.... good architecture IMO is timeless.

Your house is beautifull congratulations  :thumbsup:

Offline psw

• Keep smiling

I have used architects numerous times, residential & commercial & would never build or renovate without one. Collaboration IMO is essential, you need to like the existing work a practice has completed, although that IMO is not essential, we were slightly concerned on our current house the architects could design to our brief & create the feel we were after, they were previously very minimalist, but they convinced us they could do what we wished & were incredibly keen to do the project, that was a big plus in our decision process after interviewing 5 architectural firms. I believe a good architect interprets your brief & turns that into a successful end product.

If it is a house for you to live in, giving them design freedom within your brief I think is essential, after all they are the experts, I have given free reign each time & IMO an absolute must is to allow them to design, document & finally contract administration, with ongoing project meeting attendance for the duration. Without them administering the contract & build, most builders will always try to take shortcuts & IMO the end result hinges on the architect being involved to the end. Many people think once the drawings & documentation are complete they don't need the architect any more, in my experience when that happens the end result is compromised.
Keep Smiling

Offline JBO

• Drives: Something that doesn't meet my aspirations...yet...
Documentation of every detail is critical.

So many people say "lets get an architect" then they see the fee for full documentation and the fee for the architects to be available throughout the build to consult on any issues encountered and go spastic because they don't understand how it works, or how pear shaped things can go when none of this is specified and tradies just start making decisions on the fly because there is nothing else to go on but instinct.

I helped with my mate's place and we documented EVERYTHING. Position of hinges, position of each individual light in the house, detailed documentation on absolutely everything inside and out. If words did not sufficiently convey what was required we did drawings (our own drawings and descriptions, on top of what the architect did). We had weekly meetings. There was only one fuck up with the staircase, and because we had it fully documented, the builder ripped it out at his expense and replaced it with the correct design.

Documents, meetings, and communication. Combine that with talent and a willingness to pay for all of the above, and you'll get a great result.

This anonymous clan of slack-jawed troglodytes has cost me the election, and yet if I were to have them killed, I would be the one to go to jail. That's democracy for you. - C Montgomery Burns.

Offline Joel

I'm in two minds about the involvement of architects. Being a builder sometimes what they draw doesn't relate in the real world hence why they have draftsman.
In saying that having a well documented drawing like JBO has stated is worth every cent.
I had a teacher who refused to work on a job if the architect was the SA/PM as he believed they didn't understand the day to day running of an actual site. I personally haven't worked with them as a PM so can not comment.

Like I have said in a previous post the current architect I'm using to build these hospital projects is exactly what I'm talking about. Everything documented to an inch of its life but still lets my guys on the ground make calls when things are just not going to work and we have to stick to extremely specific guidelines.