Offline M308

• Degranged

• Name: Scott Thomson
Seriously ignoring opinions on good and bad design, if I had a billion dollars burning a hole in my pocket, I wouldn't be building a 3br home in the burbs. Why not build something as big as a hotel. These people buy Realestate in the same way people buy cars, watches, paintings etc.... Bigger faster better. We're all guilty of it.

Would it be wrong to own a collection of 40 cars vs a house with 40 rooms. You can only be in one at a time.   

Like this Dave.....Aaron Spellings widow sold this to an Arabian Prince for $130m
Across the road from the Playboy Mansion

Offline PA

• One man comedy gala

Would it be wrong to own a collection of 40 cars vs a house with 40 rooms. You can only be in one at a time.   
:thumbsup:

Offline B2

• Slowest Ferrari Owner

And to put those numbers into perspective, the average house price in Melbourne is approaching $500k, so based on 7% that would mean the average house owner would be worth over $7m.

So $70m for his house is well within the normal "family" budget.  :thumbsup:

Offline dkabab

Like this Dave.....

on my phone at the moment, will post one of my favourite designs tomorrow. I'm a big fan of sandstone houses. The 'sandcastle' is one of my favourites here in adelaide.

Offline M308

• Degranged

• Name: Scott Thomson
And to put those numbers into perspective, the average house price in Melbourne is approaching $500k, so based on 7% that would mean the average house owner would be worth over $7m.

So $70m for his house is well within the normal "family" budget.  :thumbsup:

The Vic economy might be doing really well.......you never know :p
True......but he wouldn't have $1 bil in the bank just worth that in assets & business value etc.

Offline app

True......but he wouldn't have $1 bil in the bank just worth that in assets & business value etc.

he might not...
but think the amount of credit he would be able to get given his 'net worth'....
:eek:

Offline hydie

think the most extravegant coming up is a mansion being built by perth billionaire Pankaj Oswal in perth's swan river, estimated $70 million, after buying 8 blocks of land for $22 million :eek:

no pics as it's being built at the moment but here is a link
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/clouds-gather-over-perths-shining-light-pankaj-oswal/story-e6frg8zx-1225843005263
Not exactly absolute water front as what was described/I was expecting...

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=43+view+street,+peppermint+grove&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=43+View+St,+Peppermint+Grove+WA+6011&gl=au&ei=HgkqTO3_OIOqcYue_NkC&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CBkQ8gEwAA

Offline cel

Wow, some incredible mansions, never realised they came that big in Australia!

Although this one looks more like a Lego house:

Offline jim501

• Idiot Seeking Village

The highest for a place on Sovereign goes to this one. It was built by the same couple that built Bellagio, though this was during better economic times so they got their double digit millions (can't remember if they got the full 16 they wanted or the figure 12.5 comes to mind). Well the new owners are now trying to get $16 mill for it, not likely now or ever.

Baltimore
http://www.raywhiteparadisepoint.com.au/pol/property/search.asp?f_propertyID=1242356&xsl=4775&f_st=1&f_ct=1&f_ps=2&p1=

Offline hydie

The highest for a place on Sovereign goes to this one. It was built by the same couple that built Bellagio, though this was during better economic times so they got their double digit millions (can't remember if they got the full 16 they wanted or the figure 12.5 comes to mind). Well the new owners are now trying to get $16 mill for it, not likely now or ever.

Baltimore
http://www.raywhiteparadisepoint.com.au/pol/property/search.asp?f_propertyID=1242356&xsl=4775&f_st=1&f_ct=1&f_ps=2&p1=
I have always been undecided about that one, maybe a bit to 'modern' for my liking.

It was $11m in 06.