Offline David B

Does anyone have/had experience with holiday renting investment property at Hamilton Island and the expected return?  Used to have a place up that way about 10 years ago and have been looking up there over the last little bit as some of the yields look attractive.  Downside is going to be the ability to liquidate further down the track as I imagine it's got a slow burn, it's also probably a play on low interest rate environment and discretionary spending continuing.

No personal experience but have been there a few times,
its all on an original 100 year lease from the Qld Gov isnt it?
I think theres only 60 years left...  so that to  me is a bit of a downer as the years tick by the value must be decreasing to some extent ?

Offline 1q2w3e4r

seems a very out of the way place, you'd want to get exceptional returns to make it worth your while IMO.

here on the GC if you buy a $2m house holiday rental can yield you up to $7k per week. so it would have to be well north of that to make it worth the added risk IMO

Where on the GC?  I don't know the area as well.

It's out of the way I know, from what I've seen from the digging I've done a nice place at around $1.5-$1.7 rents about $750-900 a night with lots of days booked out to June next year already- most of them are holiday let from the owners from what I gather. 

No personal experience but have been there a few times,
its all on an original 100 year lease from the Qld Gov isnt it?
I think theres only 60 years left...  so that to  me is a bit of a downer as the years tick by the value must be decreasing to some extent ?

Yes, all the islands are on 99 year leases from memory.  It isn't an issue, Hamilton is on a perpetual lease renewal from the Qld Govt.  I've been through it before in the past  and its fine provided you don't do anything stupid.