Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

Boy on scooter pinned under car

An afternoon scooter ride nearly turned into tragedy for a five-year-old boy who was run over by a reversing car in Melbourne.

The boy was riding his scooter down a Yarraville footpath, watched by his mother, when a car reversed out of a driveway and ran over him.

The boy was pinned under the car, which had to be moved forward to get him out, advanced life support paramedic Stephen Aitken said.

Mr Aitken said paramedics feared the boy may have been more seriously injured given a spate of similar accidents......

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/06/19/3247511.htm

Don't know about you but the restricted vision when reversing out of my driveway makes the exercise dangerous, you need to be careful not to take it for granted that there's no one just passing by, especially kids.

Recently I reversed out to footpath level looked to my right and there was an old guy using a frame waiting for me to pass, I didn't see him at all, if there were kids around well................

Offline dkabab

Online looney

• Drives: VW Beetle
yeah some pensioner was killed here a few months ago same deal.

i dont know what the solution is, because accidents happen.

but it sucks for everyone involved.

Offline S4Simon

• The Rubber King of Adelaide

• Drives: Something a metre high
I've always reversed my cars into the driveway (even in England).  Drive up to the house, can easily see who's on the footpath and also see that the driveways clear.  This makes driving out a doddle.  Wife does the same and thinks its so much safer.
I've been rich & I've been poor...

Rich is better

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

I've always reversed my cars into the driveway (even in England).  Drive up to the house, can easily see who's on the footpath and also see that the driveways clear.  This makes driving out a doddle.  Wife does the same and thinks its so much safer.

I was told years ago that thats actually law that you must reverse in , good idea but reversing up driveways is a pain, the only real answer is to always remember that someone may be behind you, you forget that when there's no pedestrians in your street..............until one day :eek:

Lots of kids getting killed that way.

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
reversing cameras are not a failsafe.

Often, and indeed just recently, a toddler was run over by a front wheel, as the kid was beside the car trying to retrieve its teddy.

Cameras actually encourage complacency IMO... it's human nature to check the screen, but then assume that 'cos it's clear, the way is.

I have 3 kids and a long double frontage property with double entry in/out driveway, and no boundary fences or gates at all. The kids play out the front all the time too and you just have to teach the kids and visitors basic common sense.

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

reversing cameras are not a failsafe.

Often, and indeed just recently, a toddler was run over by a front wheel, as the kid was beside the car trying to retrieve its teddy.

I think the current model Lexus RX series has cameras covering these areas as well.

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
how about just looking and listening, and generally being aware of what's around you?

It's just another way of dumbing down to the lowest common denominator.

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

how about just looking and listening, and generally being aware of what's around you?

It's just another way of dumbing down to the lowest common denominator.

I agree with the being aware of what is around you, but rather than seeing it as a dumbing down feature why not look at it as a safety feature which IMHO probably has saved lives.  SUV's and 4WD's are infamous for running over little ones because you dont have decent vision of whats down below.  Many houses have big brick fences which wont allow you to see that little kid on a bike below window level coming from your footpath no matter how aware you are -  you reckon a camera might help?

Latest Discussions

BOARD TOPIC MEMBER POSTED
[ Off Topic ] Aussie Politics Fil-Ski Today at 21:40
[ British Cars ] JAGUAR XJ220 andecorp Today at 18:27
[ Electric Cars ] Tesla Model X 360c Today at 14:56
[ Trains, Planes and Automobiles - General chat. ] Qantas - thought leadership E7ITE Today at 13:25
[ McLaren ] McLaren BP23 bobbo Today at 13:23