Offline CortinaD

Sad. Its a bad start for most states by the looks of it. I wonder why this year is bad? What are your thoughts?

The cops were out in force last night. I went out for a couple of hours on the bike and saw more than I ever have before. Pretty much every road I was on either had a speed camera, cop car, cop bike or breath test setup last night. Got pulled over twice too!

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
Its only a matter of time until someone prooves that the speed limit is too slow... there is no need to concentate on driving, hence the increased crashes.

When I'm tired, I drive fast. it's safer.

Offline M308

• Degranged

• Name: Scott Thomson
Went down to Port Elliott with the family over the last few days & went down & came back a couple of times (Bday party last night etc) so I made a few trips up & back.
Sooooo many dick heads sit in the right hand lane in overtaking sections doing 90, driving at 70-80 kmph in 100 kmph sections, people texting & on the phone (in a 4wd, so I could see), some absolute fuck head who tossed a beer can out of his window while I was behind him @ 105...........& people wonder why so many people are dying on our roads :gnasher:
If cops concentrated on picking up people who are potential accidents waiting to happen, not people going 10kmph over the speed limit, we would all be a lot safer.
Frustration also kills on our roads..........in a big way :mischief:

Offline UKKAUS

I live in The Lake District, UK. Within 10 miles square radius - 1 guy killed last night and 1 guy killed this morning, all on roads with 100 kph limit. It must be awful for the families. 

• Soap Dodger

I live in The Lake District, UK. Within 10 miles square radius - 1 guy killed last night and 1 guy killed this morning, all on roads with 100 kph limit. It must be awful for the families. 

Bad comparison though...

YOUR roads are undulating twisty roads that are narrow and have many blind corners... a rally drivers paradise..... cos it's actually difficult to even DO the speed limit most of the time.

here, we have wide open flat straight roads where doing 100km/h is just mind numbing.

Here, the stupidly low speed limit makes people fall asleep and drive into hard things like oncoming traffic and trees, or at least get distracted and fiddle with stuff in the car like other occupants, phones, sat nav or whatever.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Genius.

Shock ad aims to cut road deaths
FIONA McWHIRTER

A HARD-HITTING road safety campaign will be launched tonight in a desperate bid to curb South Australia's road toll.

Real-life images from serious smashes on the state's roads are being included in the plea for drivers to take responsibility for their own lives.

The Motor Accident Commission has put together a series of sombre images in a television ad with this plea to motorists: "Please . . . stay alert. And drive with care. Because road safety depends on you."

The campaign was created in just 48 hours after SA recorded its worst January road toll in more than 10 years.

This month, 20 people have died on SA's roads, compared to six in the same period last year. Another 464 people have been injured.

MAC chief executive officer Andrew Daniels said it was important to keep pushing the road safety message.

"It's the responsibility of every driver out there to take care on the roads, look out for themselves, their passengers and other drivers," he said.

Mr Daniels said roads were "not a playground, they're not a speedway".The campaign will include press and radio ads throughout South Australia.

Road Safety Minister Michael O'Brien urged all drivers to make safety a priority after the shocking start to the year, which he said was "a serious wake-up call".

With 19 of the year's deaths occurring on rural roads, Mr O'Brien made a special plea to young country drivers to "slow down, don't speed."

He said a law coming into effect this year would stop P-platers driving high-powered vehicles.

Mr Daniels said the road safety campaign would also target the parents of young drivers.

"We're trying a different tack, showing real situations, real crashes . . . what we want is the community to be talking about this."

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,26656489-5006301,00.html

• Soap Dodger

so what % of those deaths were P platers/general hooning, and what about fall asleeps?

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
so what % of those deaths were P platers/general hooning, and what about fall asleeps?

Extract of one of the comments:

Out of 20 people dead in SA this year, 4 are P-platers. Out of those 4, one was the poor girl who had a branch fall on her car, totally wrong place wrong time, and the other 3 at Mount Compass were not even at the wheel, they were passengers only.

Salt n all.

Offline app

Extract of one of the comments:

Salt n all.

yes but the three who died where passengers in a car driven by a p plater who survived

but yes our law makers like to twist the facts when they can :doh:

Offline app

Driver dies in fiery crash
David Nankervis
February 06, 2010 9:30AM

A DRIVER has died in a fiery crash in the Adelaide Hill this morning, despite attempts from nearby residents to save him.

Around 5.20am, the driver, who is yet to be identified, crashed into a monument on Range Road, Upper Hermitage and the car burst into flames.

Witnesses rang triple zero and tried to rescue the occupant of the vehicle without success.

One of the witnesses suffered cuts and burns to his hands, and will seek medical treatment.

It is believed that the driver was the only occupant of the car.

And a 90-year-old Panorama woman died in hospital overnight from injuries sustained after being hit by a vehicle travelling south while walking across Goodwood Rd, Colonel Light Gardens around 9.15 yesterday morning.

The two overnight fatalities takes the state's road toll to 23 compared with 11 this time last year.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/driver-dies-in-fiery-crash/story-e6frea6u-1225827336545