Offline GTBqv.au

aap news - edited from Yahoo7

Accolades are pouring in from the entertainment world for "great Kiwi bloke" Rob Guest, who died in Melbourne from a massive stroke.

Singing star Guest, 58, died surrounded by his partner Kellie Dickerson, two teenage children, and other family and friends at Melbourne 's St Vincent's Hospital.

The English-born entertainer rose to pop fame in New Zealand in the 1970s when he began performing on the television show Happen In.

He also performed for 10 years in Las Vegas before his stage musical career took him to Australia where he starred in Les Miserables and The Phantom of the Opera.

He was made an officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) for his services to the New Zealand entertainment industry in 1994.

Tim Beveridge, who was Guest's Phantom understudy, said he was in shock.

"He was a very generous guy with a great sense of humour."

Beveridge described him as a "great Kiwi bloke" who loved fast cars.

I was standing next to Rob Guest in the local car wash in West Melbourne on Tuesday afternoon, less than 12 hours before his stroke. He was chamoising his black Z4 as I pulled in with the 308. We struck up a conversation. Rob was bigger than Texas on NZ TV when I was a kid and I was a bit awestruck, but we just started chatting about cars. Seems he had a 328 for a while when living in Sydney. Told me of his great joy in changing down through the tunnel with the roof off just to hear the exhaust noise. It was great to able to relate to this guy, whom I had always seen as a larger than life entertainment personality, as a fellow car nut. He looked well and happy then.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Quick way to go but way too young.  :(