Offline B2

• Slowest Ferrari Owner

wanted to enter for a long time, just don't know where to start.

The problem is nowadays they play the person and look for dirt.  I'm sure that stops a lot of good people entering Politics.  There's no life experience anymore, straight from Uni to School teacher to Labor, or straight to Uni do a law degree and then to the Libs.

No one has a long term vision, it's all a 4 year cycle.

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Pork
  • Name: Peter
The problem is nowadays they play the person and look for dirt.  I'm sure that stops a lot of good people entering Politics.  There's no life experience anymore, straight from Uni to School teacher to Labor, or straight to Uni do a law degree and then to the Libs.

No one has a long term vision, it's all a 4 year cycle.

Yes. It's a very serious problem IMO
I love my car. Buy your own

Offline jim501

• Idiot Seeking Village

• Name: Cam
Was discussing the need for business people in politics with a work mate last week. I said we need more in there, and relayed the story of a mate of his that was a CEO for a large company. He had told the guy he would be a good thing for politics, but the guy said, why would he throw away a 7 figure salary to not be able to sit and have a coffee at the local cafe when he wanted without prying eyes everywhere. It's a fair point, the polls can't pick their nose and not be on the front page of the paper.

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A red car.
wanted to enter for a long time, just don't know where to start.

Do you really want to? State or federal, what level do you want to start at? It can always been arranged. If youre serious I can help find you the right people to talk to for where you want to go. A "Celebrity" candidate from business or sporting worlds of which you cover both, is always welcomed by political parties.

The other way could be teaming up with Nick Xenephon and running as a Qld Senator under his NXT party banner. If youre really keen you could find out quite a lot by contactng Nick and seeing what he has to offer.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/project-x-senator-nick-xenophon-to-take-on-clive-palmers-senate-circus-with-new-party-nxt/story-fni0cx12-1227146999682

He said the current system was at breaking point because of a lack of trust in politicians.

“Australians just don’t feel like the major parties are looking out for them,” he said.

“For too long the major parties have created serious voter disengagement.

“They’ve listened too much to cashed-up unions and wealthy corporations. Australians just don’t feel like the major parties are looking out for them.

“I will try and find like-minded people, to run in every state and territory, who share the same commonsense approach to politics and, at the next federal election, we will ask the Australian voters to give us their support.

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al

I'll join team Scud if it's happening. Have a bucket of PR and media contacts with political connections that could co-ordinate with AFU above  :)
C'mon, do it!

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

I've also had a want to join politics, unfortunately I'm the type of person that likes to get involved in committees and policy -  very much a thankless task.

However politics is worse than local committees.  As jim501 pointed out, you are at the mercy of the public and will be scrutinised by the media.

I recall being in the Adelaide club for drinks one night with a few sate liberal pollies, in one of the rooms was a senior judge sitting in discussion with a senior state liberal pollie.  Tongues were wagging that night and sure as night turns into day there was media attention the next day.

Financially, unless you are more cunning than Obeid, there is no real financial future in it.

Turnbull is the right man for politics but the wrong man for the liberal party and for the labor party.

Offline scud

• 300kph+ club
  • Rocket man

I'll join team Scud if it's happening. Have a bucket of PR and media contacts with political connections that could co-ordinate with AFU above  :)
thanks allanuber. Get those bumper stickers happening! :p

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

And T-shirts!!!!!     :thumbsup:

Offline scud

• 300kph+ club
  • Rocket man

And T-shirts!!!!!     :thumbsup:
with you as my campaign manager, what could go wrong? :p

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A red car.

If youre serious I'd jump on board. I already have a bumper sticker printer and a heat press for t-shirt printing. I'll have to brush a lot of dust off them though... it's been a while since theyver been used.

I didnt mention forming your own party but if you go for the Senate, I think even as an independant and pick up 4% of the vote in your state (about 100,000 votes in Qld) you get a nice $250k cash injection, even if you dont win a seat.