Offline Brenton

• 300kph+ club
  • DJ's like a mad ...........

• Drives: Yes
Well my little monkey has out Grown the Family cage and it is time to sell.
I have never sold a house before and am starting a bit of research before I contact the agents.

Is there anything I should know first?
what sort of costs are normal?
What are the costs I can avoid?

What traps for young players should I avoid?

Cheers in advance

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

Well my little monkey has out the Family cage and it is time to sell.
I have never sold a house before and am starting a bit of research before I contact the agents.

Is there anything I should know first?
what sort of costs are normal?
What are the costs I can avoid?

What traps for young players should I avoid?

Cheers in advance

Get 3 quotes

Take the agent you trust not the cheapest.

Costs -

Commission, depends on the state you're in.

Advertising.

You can negotiate both but more importantly choose the right agent, dont negotiate to the point where he starts to lose interest.

Auction or Private sale depends where you are if you're SURE there wil be more than one person seriously interested Auction is the way to go, otherwise it just puts pressure on you and the ads will cost more.

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

Also - spend a bit to bring the house into pristine condition, the garden, the lawn, hire furniture and paintings if you have to.

Offline Brenton

• 300kph+ club

Also - spend a bit to bring the house into pristine condition, the garden, the lawn, hire furniture and paintings if you have to.

The house always is,
I am also planning on moving out alot of those wonderfull things you keep in storage but never use so the house looks like as large as possible.

Offline Brenton

• 300kph+ club

Good davice with the trust the agent.

I am in SA so what is the normal for commision?

Negotiating on advertising? how dose that work? What do I negotiate?

I am thinking private sale as I already have enough on my plate without a deadline of selling

Cheers Dodger anything else???

Offline Brenton

• 300kph+ club

How do you work out the asking price?

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

How do you work out the asking price?

The agents will give you some evidence in their reports to you, choose the one you think is more on the mark, some agents quote a high price to get the listing, don't fall for it.
When you've worked out what it's worth, add some on for negotiation.

http://www.irec.com.au/index.php?c=4

Offline lord melchett

the real estate sales industry is a con job. relative to their training and what they actually offer as a service, they are grossly overpaid. dont know what it's like in SA, but in WA it is a total rort! they take 10/15k+ for sitting in a home open once a fortnight and running the odd buyer thru. big deal! then they have the gall to ask u to front up for the advertsiing monies. sell it yourself. i have studied a combined 12 years and i can't even earn their raw hourly rate. the industry should be shut down!

Offline Joel

the real estate sales industry is a con job. relative to their training and what they actually offer as a service, they are grossly overpaid. dont know what it's like in SA, but in WA it is a total rort! they take 10/15k+ for sitting in a home open once a fortnight and running the odd buyer thru. big deal! then they have the gall to ask u to front up for the advertsiing monies. sell it yourself. i have studied a combined 12 years and i can't even earn their raw hourly rate. the industry should be shut down!

I totally agree with most of this.. My best mate is a real estate agent and a good one at that. But its like anything.. Its who you know not what you know.. So when he gets a listing and sends it to 1000+ people who have walked through one of the houses he has been at in the last 2 months thats where it over rides doing it yourself. Its a name and its a brand and people want to buy off something they trust. So that is where they can justify it cause they know more people looking for a property then you would selling it yourself.

At the end he makes roughly 1% for this in his backpocket after C21 take there 2% and his boss takes 1% for the office.. A good place will include advertising then just work it into your final pay out to them.

Offline alvchua

• Drives: Old junks
Good davice with the trust the agent.

I am in SA so what is the normal for commision?

Negotiating on advertising? how dose that work? What do I negotiate?

I am thinking private sale as I already have enough on my plate without a deadline of selling

Cheers Dodger anything else???

In the past, my best success with agents is to offer them a sliding scale commission whereby after a certain sale price, they get a much higher % on the amount above the sale price. Seems to make them work harder!! I figure if they are on a nominal or fixed % of say 2% there is not much incentive for them to fight for an extra say $5000 for u, a more generous sliding scale may make them work a little harder.
Forgiveness is easier to achieve than permission!