Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

Anyone know if you can legally refuse the installation of a Smart Meter ?
or should I refuse ? I've heard they're a health hazard as well as a rip off as they vary the charge rate remotely.

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

Just found this so I guess thats that -
The smart meter roll out in Victoria is a Government mandated roll out. Unfortunately, whilst we would agree that there are significant issues with whether or not individual households will benefit from the smart meters, and the time of use pricing structure that will be brought in, consumers do not have the option of not accepting the meters. Legally, our understanding is that the Goverment has directed disribution businesses to install smart meters at all Victorian properites consuming les than 160 MWh per year between Nov 2009 and 2013.

Given that one of the main objectives of the meters is to provide people an incentive (through a price signal) to shift electricity consumption to off-peak times on the network, in time this will prevent the need for distribtuors to build more expensive poles and wires across the network. Grid augmentation is the most expensive part of our electricity bills and if time of use tariffs (delivered thru smart meters) can prevent the need to augment the grid in this way, then electricity consumers will benefit by these avoided distribution costs.

Offline dkabab

Shift our consumption to off peak?

How the hell do you do that, you use it when u need it....

Unless........  :scratchchin: What if your house had a bank of batteries that recharged in off peak times and you used the battery power primarily during peak... Like having a house fitted with KERS....

Like solar settle, but without the panels

Mondi?

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
you set up washing machines and hot water systems to come on at off peak times, pool pumps etc too....

Or, just opt out.

Install a generator and battery set, roof top wind generator and solar panels like a boat.....

Fuck 'em I say.

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

Fuck 'em I say.

I agree I'm trying to get to the legal position they're comng to my place in a week or 2

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
a well installed auomotive alternator, driven from a treadmill/bicycle/wind generator/waterwheel etc SHOULD be able to run most of a house.....

battery set constantly topped up.......

hermit style.....

cook gas though ;)

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Er, you got a few hundred thousand dollars to do that????

The battery idea is a good one but it has all been looked at before. You need a large bank of batteries to do this and a one or two car garage.....but the cost of the batteries is huge!!!

Dodger, I have had the Smart meter for 12 months, you get one as soon as you put solar on and they start charging the more expensive Peak tariff.

But if they do put a Smart meter on your place you DO NOT go on the new tariff unless YOU change your deal with the retailer. They can't change it on you. So if you are under a contact, the contract has to run out before they can put you on the new deal.

If you are not on a contract, find a real good deal and sign up!!!!

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

You can print this out and stick it on your meter but you really need the legalities clarified, the web doesnt seem tot have a lot apart from opinions.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

You can print this out and stick it on your meter but you really need the legalities clarified, the web doesnt seem tot have a lot apart from opinions.

That sign will not stop them!!!

If you lock the meter box they will issue you with a Fine and cut off the lock.

If you stand in their way, they will put a PIN Notice on your house and the main fuse will be pulled, and you will have to pay Full connection fee to get the power back on!!!