Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

I went up to the Riverland to visit one of my best mates.  His brother was there who is a very heavy smoker, I've never been a smoker and most of my friends are not smokers.  Anyway, my mate asked me to take his brother for a drive but the bloke reaked of stale cigarettes, probably been smoking in the same clothes for the past few days.

I politely refused to take him for a drive because of the odour but did tell him that if he changed and tidied up I would.  Well, this caused a bit of a heated discussion insinuating my comments and attitude was inappropriate.

Would you guys have tolerated the odour or refused?

Offline adam01

Should have bought a convertible, then there would have been no discussion :D

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

I went up to the Riverland to visit one of my best mates.  His brother was there who is a very heavy smoker, I've never been a smoker and most of my friends are not smokers.  Anyway, my mate asked me to take his brother for a drive but the bloke reaked of stale cigarettes, probably been smoking in the same clothes for the past few days.

I politely refused to take him for a drive because of the odour but did tell him that if he changed and tidied up I would.  Well, this caused a bit of a heated discussion insinuating my comments and attitude was inappropriate.

Would you guys have tolerated the odour or refused?

Nope I reckon telling a bloke he stinks too much to get in your car is quite ok :D

But yeah, you're right though I guess saying the leather would absorb the odour is ok but I think suggesting he have a shower and change probably wouldn't go down too well' 

Offline Brenton

• 300kph+ club
  • DJ's like a mad ...........

• Drives: Yes
I have a habit of saying the
worng thing
at the wrong time
in the most wrong manner

The sentiment of what you did is perfectly fine
Possibly need to say it in a PC form. That I can not help you with.

I used to have to pick up a staff member from the dealership to get his company car serviced. He knew that if he was smoking before getting into my car I would leave him there to get a cab at his cost and that he would have to make up the missed time.
Probably not right to do but it stopped him.

Also you are doing him the favor of taking him for a joy ride so it should be on your terms.

Also I would be putting your mate on the banned list for any future rides for not backing you up and putting you in that position to have to say no.

Also would they get in with muddy shoes, NO well whats the differance??

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

Also I would be putting your mate on the banned list for any future rides for not backing you up and putting you in that position to have to say no.

I'll be his best man in september -  and this put a bit of tension - likely to be short term though.

I cant see why it is so wrong that non smokers should have to tolerate smokers but it's ok for smokers to pollute our own personal space with an attitude of 'get over it'

Offline Brenton

• 300kph+ club
  • DJ's like a mad ...........

• Drives: Yes
I'll be his best man in september -  and this put a bit of tension - likely to be short term though.

I cant see why it is so wrong that non smokers should have to tolerate smokers but it's ok for smokers to pollute our own personal space with an attitude of 'get over it'

Remember it is his wedding that he is fking up so don't stress about that.

And I agree with the attitude of the smokers stink, I also don't and have never even had a puff so I am constantly giving them crap

Offline adam01

Could ask him to change his clothes

Offline dkabab

And I agree with the attitude of the smokers stink, I also don't and have never even had a puff so I am constantly giving them crap

never had a puff either... doesnt interest me at all.
i hate the smell of smokers, i get a lot through work and its hard to deal with sometimes

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
Absolutely did the right thing and if you offended him the more the better. Youre doing him a favour in more ways than a ride in a car!

I bought my getz with 8k km on it and it had had 1 cigarette smoked in it. Took a year and about 15k km to get rid of the smell.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Don't you hate that the default status is non-smoker?  I don't introduce myself as non-dead, or a non-rapist.

Ugh - my last relationship was with a smoker, nobody could believe I'd hook up with one, 3 months later and the idea just seems so foreign and makes me ill to consider - never again.

The single most useful new law we've had in the last 20 years is no smoking inside pubs etc, the difference in coming home not stenching is great.