Poll

Should photographers obscure the registration plates of cars spotted on the street in their photographs before uploading these on the internet?

Yes - for all vehicles
Yes - but only for main subject of the photograph
Yes - but only cars regularly spotted or at locations (cafes etc) where groups of exotics are regularly seen
Yes - but only if owners specifically request it
No - there's no point because everyone knows the cars anyway
No - it's a free country and I can take any photo I like
No - who cares: what's on TV tonight?

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Did they explain why "a lot of people who are furious" about photos being posted at AE? or is it mainly about the plates???
How do they know they are being posted here? As fivesix asked, were they polite about it or what??

I don't understand the attitude of some owners, these cars are going to get noticed regardless of weather they have there photos posted here or not.

And the number plate issue - what is their problem?? It is not impossible but for "Joe Average" it is pretty difficult to find any personal info if you have a number plate to refer to. 

I am still flabbergasted about people being pissed off about photos of their cars being posted?!?!?!?

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

I can understand that someone using their car at the track may not want their plate shown.  Otherwise, the plate adds something.  Pics without plates (including track pics) look awful - all the car's "personality" is gone.

Edit:  Even if you blank the plates, people will still talk about what they see on the road.  I feel violated! :D

Yes, totally agree.

mhh may be an example here, I have seen some Google searches leading to other threads such as "where does mhh live" or something like that.

Does this cause you any concern mhh???

Offline 98octane

I'll keep the details of the discussion private for now.  I understood them to be mainly "furious" about the number plates being online.  But they might also be upset pics of their cars are on here period.  I suspect they visit this site, or know people who visit this site.

Offline Kelsa

• Token Asian Guy
  • Crazy Chinaman @ Work

I can understand that someone using their car at the track may not want their plate shown.  Otherwise, the plate adds something.  Pics without plates (including track pics) look awful - all the car's "personality" is gone.

Edit:  Even if you blank the plates, people will still talk about what they see on the road.  I feel violated! :D

http://www.caradvice.com.au/7412/2007-lamborghini-murcielago-lp640-review/#comment-96813

Mhh I agree with you on that point, number plates addes extra spice for the car and just puts so much more personality in it. I remember when you down in melb, my rental expressed how awesome the number plate actually suited (even color wise) for the car.

Offline Kelsa

• Token Asian Guy
  • Crazy Chinaman @ Work

Yes, totally agree.

mhh may be an example here, I have seen some Google searches leading to other threads such as "where does mhh live" or something like that.

i'll tell you where mhh lives, #111 Kiribilie Drive, Kiribilie. :D

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Yes, totally agree.

Well, if it did, having my numberplate photographed won't make any difference.

Occasionally, I get followed.  I always check my mirrors nearing home and sometimes need to do some random laps of the neighbourhood till they lose interest.

The link I posted is the first one I've seen with my numberplate in it.   I haven't seen any "where does he live" threads.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

The link I posted is the first one I've seen with my numberplate in it.   I haven't seen any "where does he live" threads.

It wasn't a thread but a Google search leading to a thread. Just can't remember which one or when I saw it.

Ash???

* edit * quick search in Google, came up with this:

http://aussieexotics.com/forum/lamborghini/stalking-mhh-t68.0.html;msg394#msg394

PS - and the search leads to the spotted thread as well.

Offline dkabab

what sort of information can someone get from a numberplate. assuming they dont work for the transport department.....

Offline Kelsa

• Token Asian Guy
  • Crazy Chinaman @ Work

what sort of information can someone get from a numberplate. assuming they dont work for the transport department.....

vin/engine number, but that's public information. no name, address, etc.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

vin/engine number, but that's public information. no name, address, etc.

There is no way of finding out name, address, etc. Unless you know someone who has access to the database.
But giving out that info is illegal.

Let's say you have been hit by someone in a car park, and they piss off without tell you and someone gets their number plate. The cops will chase it up for you but will never give you their info.

The only other way is to enlist the help of a PI, but there needs to be a Court Order made for that as well. 

* edit * people who work for the DoT or other departments that deal with number plate issues can only look up number plates for a specific reason, private use of the system is a sackable offence!!