Poll

Should photographers obscure the registration plates of cars spotted on the street in their photographs before uploading these on the internet?

Yes - for all vehicles
Yes - but only for main subject of the photograph
Yes - but only cars regularly spotted or at locations (cafes etc) where groups of exotics are regularly seen
Yes - but only if owners specifically request it
No - there's no point because everyone knows the cars anyway
No - it's a free country and I can take any photo I like
No - who cares: what's on TV tonight?

Offline Kelsa

• Token Asian Guy
  • Crazy Chinaman @ Work

There is no way of finding out name, address, etc. Unless you know someone who has access to the database.
But giving out that info is illegal.

Let's say you have been hit by someone in a car park, and they piss off without tell you and someone gets their number plate. The cops will chase it up for you but will never give you their info.

The only other way is to enlist the help of a PI, but there needs to be a Court Order made for that as well. 

correct, and no one in their right mind will give out anyone's info, as anyone who access the database will be logged for later audit.

the only reason for the vin check is to see if the car been modified (wrecked with new engine in it etc etc), or if the car is indeed registered.

Offline STi Nut

• Drives: Toyota GTS 86
I take a hell of allot of photos of cars, on and off the track. I have been asked a few times to take plates off cars and also not to show particular photos on the net because of a car being in it........ the only time now that i block them out is when i am at a Privet track day where the public is not invited and it's a closed group. out side that, if i see your car on the road i don't block it out.

My reason for not blocking street photos is simply because i am not the only person that saw your car. a few hundred others may have seen it and it would be on a dozen local "spotted" forums by the time i got home. If someone request to have their plate blocked out when it is spotted in public i think they have some issues, if they are like that they shouldn't drive that car in public to be seen. ***no taking a stab at anyone, it's just i have come across a few people like this before***

I also don't block plates when i am at a "public" track day, for similar reasons as above, this also includes the Porsche Club Of SA Supersprint days, The name and car are posted on their website.......   

Offline CortinaD

There is no way of finding out name, address, etc. Unless you know someone who has access to the database.
But giving out that info is illegal.

Let's say you have been hit by someone in a car park, and they piss off without tell you and someone gets their number plate. The cops will chase it up for you but will never give you their info.

The only other way is to enlist the help of a PI, but there needs to be a Court Order made for that as well. 

Illegal yes but people have done it in the past and its not just the RTA, what about dealer databases etc. They don't appear to be as secure (at least physically) as the govt computers.

Offline Kelsa

• Token Asian Guy
  • Crazy Chinaman @ Work

Illegal yes but people have done it in the past and its not just the RTA, what about dealer databases etc. They don't appear to be as secure (at least physically) as the govt computers.

dealer database is hooked online for ppl to hack in and track?

or you mean someone from the dealer ship to check it out on their system? that'd be only if the car had been sold/service there. in whatever case, the system usually register whoever logged on to check for those details.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Yes, people have done it in the past and have got themselves into a lot of trouble over it.

The dealer databases are restricted, that is any searches that are done are logged and audited on a regular basis or are supposed to be.
They can do a quick search on a number plate that will tell them Vin/engine/finance/etc/etc but an advanced search is needed for other info which goes thru Vicroads first.

The privacy act is very clear but that won't stop everyone of course.

Offline CortinaD

dealer database is hooked online for ppl to hack in and track?

or you mean someone from the dealer ship to check it out on their system? that'd be only if the car had been sold/service there. in whatever case, the system usually register whoever logged on to check for those details.

Im saying someone working there, or even more sinister and some random walking in and going up to the machine and typing in a rego.

Offline CortinaD

Yes, people have done it in the past and have gone themselves into a lot of trouble over it.

The dealer databases are restricted, that is any searches that are done are logged and audited on a regular basis or are supposed to be.
They can do a quick search on a number plate that will tell them Vin/engine/finance/etc/etc but an advanced search is needed for other info which goes thru Vicroads first.

The privacy act is very clear but that won't stop everyone of course.

Thats for the govt places machines, not the dealers own private records on their own machines.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Mhh I agree with you on that point, number plates addes extra spice for the car and just puts so much more personality in it. I remember when you down in melb, my rental expressed how awesome the number plate actually suited (even color wise) for the car.

And how is your rental?  :D

Offline Kelsa

• Token Asian Guy
  • Crazy Chinaman @ Work

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Thats for the govt places machines, not the dealers own private records on their own machines.

The dealers own private records will only have a limited number of records.
As in only the cars they have dealt with, so you would have to know which dealer has the info.

And my guess is that the info would be password protected, etc, etc.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but why go to all that trouble when you can just follow them home.  :p