Poll

Should photographers obscure the registration plates of cars spotted on the street in their photographs before uploading these on the internet?

Yes - for all vehicles
Yes - but only for main subject of the photograph
Yes - but only cars regularly spotted or at locations (cafes etc) where groups of exotics are regularly seen
Yes - but only if owners specifically request it
No - there's no point because everyone knows the cars anyway
No - it's a free country and I can take any photo I like
No - who cares: what's on TV tonight?

Offline CortinaD

The dealers own private records will only have a limited number of records.
As in only the cars they have dealt with, so you would have to know which dealer has the info.

And my guess is that the info would be password protected, etc, etc.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but why go to all that trouble when you can just follow them home.  :p

In Adelaide there is only 1 BMW dealer, 2 merc dealers, 1 audi/vw dealer etc, 1 porsche dealer.

Limited info, dealers have it all dude, even more than the govt if you have financed the car through them. I have enough complaints at my work with short password timeouts etc to try and thwart that type of attack, I am sure its the same elsewhere.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

In Adelaide there is only 1 BMW dealer, 2 merc dealers, 1 audi/vw dealer etc, 1 porsche dealer.

Limited info, dealers have it all dude, even more than the govt if you have financed the car through them. I have enough complaints at my work with short password timeouts etc to try and thwart that type of attack, I am sure its the same elsewhere.

Yes, an unfortunate side effect of the information age.  :(

And it does not matter how strict the privacy laws are, it only stops the honest ones.

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Pork
  • Name: Peter
I'll keep the details of the discussion private for now.  I understood them to be mainly "furious" about the number plates being online.  But they might also be upset pics of their cars are on here period.  I suspect they visit this site, or know people who visit this site.

i want to know who it is. what happened to freedom of expression?

I love my car. Buy your own

Offline dkabab

Do you know, I managed to work out where someone lived once by the photos they had of their F40, superarmerica and 512tr for sale or carsales.
Yes I was bored, and no I didnít have any plans of doing anything with it, but it was pretty easy. With google earth.

Offline 98octane

i want to know who it is. what happened to freedom of expression?

I've sent you a PM.

Offline app

Discussions on this thread seem to only really be addressing whether it's reasonable to leave number plates as they are both in public + private.

However, what I would like to see the answer to is: What IS it that owners of exotic cars wanting their plates blanked are so concerned about? I think it is perfectly reasonable on a private track day for owners to request to have their plates blanked but what is it their so worried about, it is their cars after all and doing nothing wrong. Personally, if I owned an exotic I couldn't care less if my plates appeared on the net both in public and on private track days.

As I said before, you either have a catchy number plate and not be concerned about people seeing it, or be private, but for goodness sakes, you can't have it both ways.

Offline CortinaD

Discussions on this thread seem to only really be addressing whether it's reasonable to leave number plates as they are both in public + private.

However, what I would like to see the answer to is: What IS it that owners of exotic cars wanting their plates blanked are so concerned about? I think it is perfectly reasonable on a private track day for owners to request to have their plates blanked but what is it their so worried about, it is their cars after all and doing nothing wrong. Personally, if I owned an exotic I couldn't care less if my plates appeared on the net both in public and on private track days.

As I said before, you either have a catchy number plate and not be concerned about people seeing it, or be private, but for goodness sakes, you can't have it both ways.

You would care if your warranty request for something was denied/void because they found pictures of your car at a race track.

Offline Kelsa

• Token Asian Guy
  • Crazy Chinaman @ Work

Do you know, I managed to work out where someone lived once by the photos they had of their F40, superarmerica and 512tr for sale or carsales.
Yes I was bored, and no I didnít have any plans of doing anything with it, but it was pretty easy. With google earth.

that's because he took photo of his car in his own home/garage, with his phone number/etc, easy to figure out.

best way to sell a car is take it somewhere, take photos of it. get a prepaid mobile number. bring a few mates to meet the potential buyer, other than your own home.

I could not just allow strangers into their own home to buy an exotic. or just do trade in, and save all these trouble

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Pork
  • Name: Peter
that's because he took photo of his car in his own home/garage, with his phone number/etc, easy to figure out.

best way to sell a car is take it somewhere, take photos of it. get a prepaid mobile number. bring a few mates to meet the potential buyer, other than your own home.

I could not just allow strangers into their own home to buy an exotic. or just do trade in, and save all these trouble

how's the paranoia going?

I love my car. Buy your own

Offline Kelsa

• Token Asian Guy
  • Crazy Chinaman @ Work

how's the paranoia going?

what's to you?! YOu'll never afford my Zonda! Or my number plate TOO!