Poll

Should photographers obscure the registration plates of cars spotted on the street in their photographs before uploading these on the internet?

Yes - for all vehicles
Yes - but only for main subject of the photograph
Yes - but only cars regularly spotted or at locations (cafes etc) where groups of exotics are regularly seen
Yes - but only if owners specifically request it
No - there's no point because everyone knows the cars anyway
No - it's a free country and I can take any photo I like
No - who cares: what's on TV tonight?

Offline Kelsa

• Token Asian Guy
  • Crazy Chinaman @ Work

Discussions on this thread seem to only really be addressing whether it's reasonable to leave number plates as they are both in public + private.

However, what I would like to see the answer to is: What IS it that owners of exotic cars wanting their plates blanked are so concerned about? I think it is perfectly reasonable on a private track day for owners to request to have their plates blanked but what is it their so worried about, it is their cars after all and doing nothing wrong. Personally, if I owned an exotic I couldn't care less if my plates appeared on the net both in public and on private track days.

As I said before, you either have a catchy number plate and not be concerned about people seeing it, or be private, but for goodness sakes, you can't have it both ways.

flashy car, flashy number plate, loves to sit your car in a busy cafe strip most of time in non-parking zone and complain about photos of their car been on the net for true car lovers to enjoy.

did we bad mouth their car to cause such controvocy? or did we tried to hunt them down? or may be its 359 himself feeling guilty for what he did to a perfectly well mannered gentleman??

Offline dkabab

that's because he took photo of his car in his own home/garage, with his phone number/etc, easy to figure out.

best way to sell a car is take it somewhere, take photos of it. get a prepaid mobile number. bring a few mates to meet the potential buyer, other than your own home.

I could not just allow strangers into their own home to buy an exotic. or just do trade in, and save all these trouble

didnt see the phone number, just went off the photos, but you're right, not a good idea to take photos of your million dollar collection in your drive way, especially when you live on a main road. ;)

Offline fivesix

anyone think that maybe they are only pissed because we call them cafe cruisers all the time?  :scratchchin:

maybe if "heaps" of them had seen the photos on here and were angry, wouldnt one of them have simply signed up and posted about it, or even better PM'd someone about it?

All seems pretty stupid to me...

Offline app

You would care if your warranty request for something was denied/void because they found pictures of your car at a race track.

There is a HUGE difference in getting warrenty for a defected product and a damaged product because you raced it and smashed it or wore it out. Dealers are not stupid - in fact, they'll just do about anything to make sure you don't get a free replacement, just like insurance firms do with their payouts.

Offline Kelsa

• Token Asian Guy
  • Crazy Chinaman @ Work

anyone think that maybe they are only pissed because we call them cafe cruisers all the time?  :scratchchin:

maybe if "heaps" of them had seen the photos on here and were angry, wouldnt one of them have simply signed up and posted about it, or even better PM'd someone about it?

Hmmm, how many cafe cruisers would turn up to a good day drive that some of us had few weeks back?? Unlike the boys in SA or NSW, real car guys! Love the drive and good company.

but fair enough that some people doesn't like to put any risk on their cars/themselves, i have always thought they love a cup of coffee/chat while let people enjoy their cars under sun light to take photos and its a great thing too! but now, it completely changed my mind about some of their mentality. the 359 mentality.

Offline Kelsa

• Token Asian Guy
  • Crazy Chinaman @ Work

There is a HUGE difference in getting warrenty for a defected product and a damaged product because you raced it and smashed it or wore it out. Dealers are not stupid - in fact, they'll just do about anything to make sure you don't get a free replacement, just like insurance firms do with their payouts.

all they need to do is download stuff from your ECU, it tells them exactly how you drive!

and plus app said, they not stupid, and p.s. a lot fo them also go to track days and etc, so that arguement is not valid.

Offline 98octane

The fact that this was not done annoys me a lot.  That would have been a completely easy, reasonable, polite and non-confrontational way to solve any perceived problem.

Offline S4Simon

• The Rubber King of Adelaide

• Drives: Something a metre high
Maybe there should be a global plate fitted as standard on all photographed cars, much like all watches being set to 8 minutes past 10.

So for the plate we could have a word that everyone knows like say...

W4NK3R
I've been rich & I've been poor...

Rich is better

Offline CortinaD

all they need to do is download stuff from your ECU, it tells them exactly how you drive!

and plus app said, they not stupid, and p.s. a lot fo them also go to track days and etc, so that arguement is not valid.

Scare mongering from what I have seen. The only thing the my car stores with regards to history that I can find in the computer is max speed and max rpm. Talk about storing launch controls, driving history etc is all rubbish. Maybe they can get it out of the ecu in Germany but I haven't seen it.

Offline cel

Very interesting thread. I've photographed thousands of cars and only once an owner asked me not to get the plate. I was polite and picked angles where the plates weren't showing at all.

In a public place, especially a popular cafe strip,  I don't see why removing the plates make it any better, everyone can see their car and they probably want everyone to see it.