Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Stirling Moss hurt in lift fall

F1 legend Sir Stirling Moss recovering in hospital after three-storey fall down lift shaft

Stirling Moss has sustained significant injuries after falling down a lift shaft at his London home. According to his website, he broke both ankles, four bones in his feet, and chipped four vertebrae in the accident. The 80-year-old is now comfortable and recovering in a London hospital.

Paramedics were called to Moss’s home on Saturday evening. He was taken to the Royal London Hospital where his condition was assessed. The following day, he was moved to a hospital closer to his home in Mayfair, assisted by former official F1 race doctor, Professor Sid Watkins. Here he underwent surgery on both ankles, which had to be plated and pinned.

Moss’s home features a number of cutting edge gadgets, including a custom-built carbon fibre lift which was made for him by the Williams F1 team. In a statement, it was revealed that the accident occurred because the door to the lift opened in error. He stepped into the open lift shaft in the expectation that the lift would be there.

Lady Moss, Stirling’s wife, stated “this was a very unfortunate accident; it could have just as easily been another member of the family stepping into where the lift should have been”.

Sir Stirling is widely regarded as the best driver never to win the Formula 1 world championship. After retiring from professional racing in 1962, Moss has continued to drive in historic meetings. It is expected that it will take up to 6 weeks for him to recover from his injuries. However, it is not known if Moss will be able to compete again as a result of his fall.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/249394/stirling_moss_hurt_in_lift_fall.html#ixzz0hdgvh9cK

Offline Pazzo Canguro

• COFFEE AND CARS...What more is their? Oh Women!!

Bloody hell.... :( hope he you recover soon sir stirling....

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
oh bugger! Poor old fella  :(

I always thought he got shafted by not winning the Championship, now he really has been  :?  :scratchchin:

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Quote from: Stirlin Moss
Dear all of you,

The last few days have been quite fantastic and I'd like to thank each and every one of you for your kind thoughts, messages and other paraphernalia.

On Saturday evening, I was at home with Susie, Elliot and Helen and about to leave for a Curry, for which we were running late.

I asked Helen to join me in the lift to go downstairs, because Susie and Elliot were smart enough not to ride in my lift. I opened the door and stepped into the lift, with Helen ready to follow me, which she never did. That is because the lift had stopped on the floor above and incorrectly allowed the door beneath it to open.

Still chatting to Helen, I stepped into the open doorway— and fell to the bottom of the lift shaft.

The ambulance was called and arrived at racing speed, whereupon they put me onto a series of about 10 stretchers! Having finally settled on what must have seemed a good one, I was taken, along with my family to the Royal London Hospital in Whitechapel, where they used another batch of similar stretchers!

They did a good job of helping me, but were unable to do the requisite surgery. So, on the Sunday, I was moved to the Princess Grace, where a fantastically efficient, kind and amusing staff did all the jobs.

I am now in a lovely room, number 222, and with the help of Elliot and the porter, am finally on the email. That does not mean that I will be able to actually send this to you, but I will try!

Now for the future... which I can see with Susie, Helen and Elliot around me, is going to be a bloody struggle!

As some of you may know, Susie and I are booked on a seaborne cruise for our 30th Anniversary, next month. I have to cross the hurdle of getting the doctors, and family hangers-on, to allow me to thin my blood, in order to avoid any issues involving deep vein thrombosis.

It will be six to eight weeks from Sunday before i will able to put any load on my feet. Therefore I'm facing my sixth or seventh reduction to a wheelchair (Susie says she's stopped counting) which I must admit, is rather boring. The good news is; that I didn't sell the wheelchair after the last shunt!

The whole thing is a real pain in the arse, if I had looked where I was going, I wouldn't be here at all, so It's my own damn fault.

I have been absolutely overwhelmed by your collective concern and kindness.

I can tell you that currently I'm lying in hospital, taking deep breaths, lifting one arm with the other, raising my legs (with plasters on the end) and doing all I can do to keep myself as mobile as possible, but, having said that, I'm not yet winning the battle.

I'm not sure when I'll be able to go home but the lift has to work, otherwise I'll never be able to get upstairs in my wheelchair, maybe I'll go and stay with Helen And Elliot for a while...

This really has opened my eyes to how kind all my friends are, over an old ex-racing driver, flogging a fading image!

I look forward to seeing you soon,

Many thanks for all of your thoughts,

Ciao
Stirling Moss

http://jalopnik.com/5490061/

Online fivesix

champion!  :thumbsup:
hope he recovers well...

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

http://www.topgear.com/UK/car-news/moss-recovery-2010-02-16

Sir Stirling Moss has thanked well-wishers for their messages of support as he recovers from the injuries he sustained in a fall down a lift shaft at his London home.

Moss suffered two broken ankles and damaged vertebrae in the incident, where he fell three floors after stepping into the lift shaft when a technical fault meant the lift was actually still on the fourth floor.

The racing legend - regarded by many as the best driver never to win the F1 title - has since been recovering in hospital but took time to update fans in a video message posted on his official website from his hospital bed (watch the Youtube clip below).

"I would like to thank everybody out there who was kind enough to write to me, email me or whatever after the shunt I had at the weekend," he said. "I'm glad to say I'm feeling better. I'm not feeling great, but I am feeling better and hopefully will get out of here within a week or so.

"Obviously I am going to take it a bit easy, which is a bit of a bore. But still, and I should be bouncing back as soon as I possibly can. I hope that means I'll be meeting a lot of you in the coming months."

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RH0vOW-md8U" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RH0vOW-md8U</a>