Offline Cuso

without bikini pics this question is meaningless....

your chic, man, your chic!

So this won't help then

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
well, it's that time of year again.

This time, over winter not only did I shut it right off on purpose, we had the builders in and have had  abit of a reno done.... whole new paving and fence all around, a new deck area etc etc.

Anyway, it of course went absolutely putrid again, not only that, the builders dropped probably 30kg of rubble and cement/crumbs into it as they replaced all the paving/coping. Can't blame them, impossible not to really.

Anyway, after going through it before, I've now mastered the art.

My salt chlorinator was already dead, so I'm running it as a plain chlorine pool now. I've got it all sorted, the builders finished just before xmas eve, about the 23rd I think, and we had a swim yesterday (just missed the hottest day, oh well).

My plan to kill the swamp monster is now refined and complete...

Nuke it with chlorine.
Nuke it again.
Nuke it once more. (I bought a 10kg granules tub, I've used maybe 7kg of it)
Wait a day.
Run the pump on skimmer box only, to clean the water right up DO NOT DISTURB THE FILTH/SLIME on the bottom yet.
Wait a day, or two.
Hire a slurry/submersible pump from kennards etc, pump out the algae slime to waste.
Top up pool if level goes too low.
When bulk of filth is gone, hook up pool vac and vac to waste the remainder (very frustrating with builder rubble blocking the pipe. For every 5 minutes of vac, I'd spend 15 minutes unblocking).
Do this for two days, leaving it 6-8 hours in bewteen to re-settle so you can see what you're doing through the cloudy but quite clean water.
Set ph and chlorine levels.
Wait a day to clarify water etc

SWIM!!!

I'm really chuffed. Took me only 10 days total, and maybe 8 hours of actual work to restore it from UNFATHOMABLE SWAMPY FILTH into crystal clear pool.

And the lack of salt to do the automatic chlorinating is superb. I don't like that clingy feeling you get from heavy calcium/salty water, which also stains the waterline tiles.

I AM going to get a new salt chlorinator, but I'm going to run it on low and top up by hand, so I can keep the salt levels right down.

People often think a chlorine pool makes your eyes sting, but this is nonsense, it's the ph level that does that.

I run chlorine on the upper levels of recommended, about 4 ppm, but I keep the ph on the low side, 7.2 ish, this makes the water really easy on the skin/eyes etc.

Now.... My pool is too big for your average kreepy crawly to clean, plus they use the pump inlet to run, so you can't skim at the same time, so now I'm looking into those robot cleaners that just need a power lead to do the bottom, once every other day or so, while the skimmer box runs and stops most of the leaves and stuff from ever getting to the botom in the first place...

Happy life.....

• Soap Dodger

Does anyone have one of the robots already?

I'm looking at the Zodiac V1 (around $1300) or the bigger Zodiac Polaris 9300 (around $1700)

What others are there, anyone?

They seem really cool  :tilt:

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

Does anyone have one of the robots already?

I'm looking at the Zodiac V1 (around $1300) or the bigger Zodiac Polaris 9300 (around $1700)

What others are there, anyone?

They seem really cool  :tilt:

I've got an aquabot ( bravo I think) which I'll be selling as the pool will be no more soon

Offline alvchua

• Drives: Old junks
I've got an aquabot ( bravo I think) which I'll be selling as the pool will be no more soon
I've got an Aquabot bravo too - excellent unit! Farted around with lots of Kreepy Krawly wannabes before taking the plunge and have never been happier. There is supposedly a version that has its own R/C unit too so u can "drive" it round ur pool!
Forgiveness is easier to achieve than permission!

• Soap Dodger

I've bitten the bullet and gone with the Polaris..., and a top range salt chlorinator too.

Xmas present to myself!

Offline looney

• Drives: VW Beetle
i have just resurfaced my pool, also had to buy a new pump (kiss goodbye another $1200 :(  )

i hate pools, i bet i will still never use this damn thing.

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

i have just resurfaced my pool, also had to buy a new pump (kiss goodbye another $1200 :(  )

i hate pools, i bet i will still never use this damn thing.

I think there's as many being filled in as built.

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

• Drives: Purple People Eater
I had a pool in my last house. Lived there from 1981 to 2007. Used it a bit to begin with; but didn't use it at all for the last 15 years that I was there. Cost a friggin fortune to upkeep in both time and money and I will never have another.
It was salt chlorinated and solar heated via pipes on the roof. Every few years it would spring a leak on the roof and of course you couldn't see it. The roof was gal steel and even that couldn't stand up to the salt water and would eventually rust through. Replaced parts of the roof about 4 times.

Did I mention I will never have another pool ?  :gnasher:

Offline alvchua

• Drives: Old junks

Did I mention I will never have another pool ?  :gnasher:

I used to have the same attitude - long story short - whilst living with my folks as a student - I slipped 2 discs and had to undergo neurosurgery after being a hero lifting a 40kg chlorine drum out of the boot of the car! I vowed never to buy a house with a pool!!

fast fwd 15 years, married, 2 kids - built a pool in my backyard   :doh:

whilst it does cost a fortune to maintain, in the last 3 years we have had it, it is used at least 80% of summer! As for solar pool heating - it still costs/uses electricity to pump to the roof and back and u still need the pool pump running to circulate the hot water hence it is not that cost effective! We have a combo gas pump and solar rooftop heating at our place to keep the water temp around 28-31 degrees and a motorised pool cover to keep the leaves out and water heat in overnight. Have an in floor sprinkler style pool cleaner system which IMHO is the biggest waste of money! The Aquabot Bravo does a heaps better job!

Forgiveness is easier to achieve than permission!