Offline a.taylor

I've found with the folks pool back home that the blanket, if left on during the week/day's its not used much, does more than a good enough job of heating it. Most of the time when I get home it's to warm the first time I jump in. It has solar heating but I don't think that has been used since we got the blanket.

As for cleaners we have always had a barracuda in it, not great but gets the job done for the most part. Usually requires attention several times a week though.

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
I'm really happy with my Zodiac TRi salt chlorinator.

It's the large one, and it runs perfectly when set at an easy 40% output, maintaining chlorine levels exactly where I want them. It does it's reverse cycle self cleaning thingy once in a while and it's superb all round, very happy.

Today, I finally got my Zodiac Polaris 9300 Sport robot cleaner, and I have to say, the wait was annoying. Supplier excuses and general Australian tardiness around holiday times, but today I went and collected it myself, and got it running.

Once again, I'm really happy with it. Funky looking race car styling, with jet booster out the back for speedy acceleration and wall climing. Very clever gadget.

As my deep end is almost 2.4M, I get to use "Cycle 2"  :tilt:.... which makes it climb the walls right the way up, it even reaches out the water to clean all the waterline tiles right up to the coping stones.... it's bloody marvellous!

We've had a week of windy weather, so leaves were everywhere. I had to empty the internal basket twice in the 2.5 hour cycle... actually, i chose to look at it and empty it, but it was still cleaning away, busily.

The annoying thing with it though, is that the paperwork says no swimming while it's in the pool... didn't think of that. I guess it's just in case some kind of electrical short.....

• Soap Dodger

Oh, I have NO heating on my pool, other than the blanket.

The temp hasn't dropped below 30 deg since it got there on Jan 4th ish.....

The new glass fence takes the wind chill off, which really makes a difference to water temp too.

Even if I did have heating, I have proper cement tiled roof, so any leaks wouldn't matter.

• Soap Dodger

So, you all know how I'm always right, yeah?

Well, this one has made me smile  :D

I had the old steel bar fencing changed for new glass panels. We moved the whole fence line further away from the pool, made the enclosure bigger and incorporated a new pool house too.

THEN, we realised we needed planning permit for that.....  :doh:

Anyway, it got the councils hackles up, as we've thought outside the box and have a funky layout that incorporates the pool house as a part of the fence. We also used parts of the old steel fence on the higher ground to act as part pool fence, part chicken enclosure.

It works superbly and looks great.

But the council have stalled and cajoled and squirmed without giving planning permit, for 18 months.

We've jumped through a million hoops and have always met their requirements, but still they find a new reason to refuse permit.

Now, as I'm given to arcing up when provoked, I've simply delegated a lot of the admin to my perfect wife (I'm the luckiest guy I know).

But still, they persist with stupid bureaucracy.

The last thing has been the steps to the pool house.... they say the glass fence isn't strong enough to be a handrail as per AS blah blah......

So, my poor exasperated wife started to get antsy....

so I wrote this......

"Dear Sir/madam (I know its a Sir)

Maybe you people get your mums ( I met the guy once, definite mummys' boy) to wash your tape measures in the hot wash a few too many times, for having studied (googled) the standard required, I find the glass fence meets every requirement possible.

The hand rail is not required for steps below 1m height, so I think you've made some of the most basic errors possible.

I'm just a grease monkey mechanic, but my tape measure isn't rubber. I find the highest step to be 875mm and the pool house floor to be 975mm from the ground.

So, rather than removing the steps and screwing the door shut permanently as you request, how about you come and measure up again?"

Yours sincerely (very, and I know you shouldn't use Sir and sincerely together)

etc etc

Anyway.... 48 hrs later... permit issued  :cool:

No apology yet though, but I'll push for one. :darkside:

I can't stand useless people. And I particularly dislike having to tell "experts" how to do their job... what am I paying them for???

• Soap Dodger

No apology yet though, but I'll push for one. :darkside:

I can't stand useless people. And I particularly dislike having to tell "experts" how to do their job... what am I paying them for???

:thumbsup:

"Hi Phil

I am just confirming that XXXX revisited the site today and came back very red faced. (The office will get morning tea from XXXX because of this!)

We offer our sincerest apologies for not doing our job correctly and are totally embarrassed.

The correct measurement of the stairs should have been determined on site prior to advising.

I believe that XXXX assumed that it was 1.0 metres off the photo because of the number of stairs.

Anyway, we confirm that the glass is only required to comply with AS 1288-2006 which it does so well done.

Many regards and a final will come in the mail shortly.
"

• Soap Dodger

Kids had first home swim of warmer season today..... That's my earliest readiness after winter lay up since we lived here. And seeing as I basically lost October with work trips to Canberra and Europe, I'm pretty happy about that.

Temp is only 25 so far, but kids and I don't mind, it's only wife that waits for 28 before she goes in.

Especially happy as I was sparring with pp today, while also getting 4 long winded invoices written.

Multi tasking, happy kids, love my home.

And the chickens love it when I chuck them the leaves from skimmer box too.... Happy little cluckers....

Offline robertb

• Poll Dancer

Kids had first home swim of warmer season today..... That's my earliest readiness after winter lay up since we lived here. And seeing as I basically lost October with work trips to Canberra and Europe, I'm pretty happy about that.

Temp is only 25 so far, but kids and I don't mind, it's only wife that waits for 28 before she goes in.

Especially happy as I was sparring with pp today, while also getting 4 long winded invoices written.

Multi tasking, happy kids, love my home.

And the chickens love it when I chuck them the leaves from skimmer box too.... Happy little cluckers....
secret to a warm pool is a shallow pool in depth.
AM's pool is cold cold...45 feet long 20 feet wide and about 11 feet deep at one end,built by the Grollo's in the 60s.....it never is warm.But a great swim.

• Soap Dodger

secret to a warm pool is a shallow pool in depth.
AM's pool is cold cold...45 feet long 20 feet wide and about 11 feet deep at one end,built by the Grollo's in the 60s.....it never is warm.But a great swim.

Mines 10.5m x 5.5m, and 2.5m deep end with 1.2m shallow end.

No heating, only blanket. Secret is to keep blanket on as much as possible.

Offline robertb

• Poll Dancer

Mines 10.5m x 5.5m, and 2.5m deep end with 1.2m shallow end.

No heating, only blanket. Secret is to keep blanket on as much as possible.
about the same size....thats a big pool and deep.

• Soap Dodger

about the same size....thats a big pool and deep.

You'd like my house too.... English style double Hawthorn brick.

Ex brothel apparently  :cool: