Offline dkabab

So I've never personally done my tax before, its always been done through my dads company and his accountant.
Anyway, I’m getting stuff all back on my tax return, and other people I know in the same line of work seem to get 1-2k back…

What are some things I could be claiming that my accountant isn’t doing for me…. That are legal…. I've heard quotes like the average person could claim 150 things yet most average 3-5 things.

Offline Doctor

• Left Sodways
  • Under a Vw, or behind a Camera...

Why arnt you getting your old boys accountant to do it?
www.brassmunkymedia.com.au

Oversteer Scares The Passengers , Understeer Scares The Driver

Offline S4Simon

• The Rubber King of Adelaide

• Drives: Something a metre high
Move to the UK - no need to do tax there.  :)

I do it myself now (I'm past the accountant bit now).  Got back just over 5k, which is handy.  And I was only on a plebby average salary.  Altough two high school kids help alot with the governments latest initiative.

My advice - steal some children from somewhere.
I've been rich & I've been poor...

Rich is better

Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

• Drives: to and from everywhere
  • Name: Shane
  • www: Flamestone.com
Claim for doll puncture repairs as work related expense.  The ATO has a wonderful sense of humour.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Claim for doll puncture repairs as work related expense.  The ATO has a wonderful sense of humour.

Was looking for "Programmer"... :?

Offline S4Simon

• The Rubber King of Adelaide

• Drives: Something a metre high
Close enough
I've been rich & I've been poor...

Rich is better

Offline 265T

My advice - steal some children from somewhere.

yep - have a kid, made a huge difference this year  :thumbsup:

Offline dkabab

So….. anyway one of the things I've heard lots of people claim is mileage on their car from driving for work purposes… Apparently you don’t need to provide a log book if its under 5000kms… is this accurate?

Some other things I've heard are washing of clothes… (I’m assuming washing powder) etc… I've done a quick search but couldn’t find a big list on things to claim… individually they aren’t worth much.. but if I can claim lots of small things, it will all add up.

Offline futurism

• Drives: Regretfully sold my GT3
  • Name: David
I can claim heaps of stuff for work travel
even though work pays for flights and accommodation and meals, you can still claim for incidentals without receipts for each night you are away

I stay in hotels interstate about 180 nights per year on average, and you can claim around $20 per day in undocumented incidentals

Other things are computer depreciation, luggage, internet costs, general communications costs, magazine subscriptions, self education, professional associations/memberships

you recently moved house I recall, did you own 2 houses even briefly? theres costs you can claim there (mortgage fees mainly)

and on that note, it is possible to claim bank fees against paying for bank interest, but its rare these days for anyone to earn bank interest

If you have any shares or dabble in forex, you can claim a lot of costs for placing a trade or broker fees, research costs all sorts of stuff, against the income the shares or currency made

thats about all I can think of now

I need to work out a business plan that involves cars somehow so I can start claiming the costs of those

Offline M308

• Degranged

• Name: Scott Thomson
Do you work from home at all or just from an office? If you don't work from home, start to, even part time. Lots of deductions to be had there :thumbsup: