Offline jim501

• Idiot Seeking Village

• Name: Cam
lol beer and wine (in large quantities) are the only thing that give me a hangover so at least you can stick to the spirits!

Offline dkabab

just had my first cup of nescafe's finest....  :eek:

Offline 98octane

I agree with Mondi - get a plunger.  I use one everyday.  Experiment with the types of coffee you use 0- generally a coarser grind, but it's personal opinion.  I recommend going to Safeway and buying Vittoria Mountain Grown Coffee 200g in a black tin.  The tin is a perfect, air- and light- tight place to store your coffee.  Some people say store it in a fridge or freezer, but I just store it in a cupboard.

But nothing beats espresso coffee!  I still regularly buy coffee at a hole-in-the-wall place on Elizabeth St that uses Illy coffee - it's one of the best in town.

Offline CortinaD

I love my coffee.

I have had one of these for a few years now Image

bought it from a mate that works at Miele. It is auto so the purists hate it as they say you need to make it yourself etc etc but fark waiting 30 minutes for the machine to warm up, clean etc....

Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

• Drives: to and from everywhere
  • Name: Shane
  • www: Flamestone.com
but fark waiting 30 minutes for the machine to warm up

WTF?  Are you talking about a wood fired one or something?!?

But anyone who has ever looked at my avatar (yes, I made that coffee myself, and then photographed it :rolleyes:) probably gets the hint that I like a good espresso, so I'd probably wait the 30 min anyway.

Walking away from the desk to make a latte or macchiato is sometimes the only work break I have in a day, so I don't mind...

Offline CortinaD

WTF?  Are you talking about a wood fired one or something?!?

But anyone who has ever looked at my avatar (yes, I made that coffee myself, and then photographed it :rolleyes:) probably gets the hint that I like a good espresso, so I'd probably wait the 30 min anyway.

Walking away from the desk to make a latte or macchiato is sometimes the only work break I have in a day, so I don't mind...

The manual machines that I have seen/used have taken at least 5 minutes for the boiler to warm up properly from switched off. By the time you run water through your cup to warm it and it has to heat up again, then wait, then make the shot, then if it isn't a dual boiler, have to wait for the steam boiiler to warm up, make your coffee and then afterwards (or at a later date) give it a clean. The auto machine I have, takes 15 seconds to warm up both the steam and water from switched off. 20 seconds to put the shot in the cup and about a minute or less to extend the milk and after all that self cleans (cept for the steam wand). The coffee tastes 98% that of a manual machine but it is so much quicker.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Sound like me. Can't stand coffee and have found that if I have an energy drink for the hell of it anytime after 2pm and I can't sleep!

I used to use energy drinks to keep me awake during the day when I had to start work at like 8 or 9am - like 3-4 cans in the first couple hours - have since managed to pretty much set my own hours so it's no longer an issue.  Don't need any stimulant to stay awake all night, am rarely asleep before 3am no matter whether I haven't slept for days before - just not destined for the daytime world. :?

Offline app

The manual machines that I have seen/used have taken at least 5 minutes for the boiler to warm up properly from switched off. By the time you run water through your cup to warm it and it has to heat up again, then wait, then make the shot, then if it isn't a dual boiler, have to wait for the steam boiiler to warm up, make your coffee and then afterwards (or at a later date) give it a clean. The auto machine I have, takes 15 seconds to warm up both the steam and water from switched off. 20 seconds to put the shot in the cup and about a minute or less to extend the milk and after all that self cleans (cept for the steam wand). The coffee tastes 98% that of a manual machine but it is so much quicker.

im a real coffee snob, so i love the manual machines where i can control every detail of it.

i hate the auto machines because with all the ones ive used i cant make it just the way i want it.

to me that extra wait with the manuals is all part of appreciating good coffee and the extra bit of patience makes me look forward to and enjoy it more.

Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

• Drives: to and from everywhere
  • Name: Shane
  • www: Flamestone.com
Of course the other problem with those fully recessed machines is that you have no drying rack for when you've been pulling apart a Ferrari and cleaning all the gummy switch gear.   :D