• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Pork
  • Name: Peter

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

• Drives: Purple People Eater
They make the claim that "so much electricity will be generated that residents will be able to charge their electric cars for free".
In my experience that is very difficult to achieve and requires a very large solar/battery system, certainly much larger than is being offered in these houses. Further to that, I believe the Tesla wall batteries won't cope with charging their own cars!

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Pork
  • Name: Peter
They make the claim that "so much electricity will be generated that residents will be able to charge their electric cars for free".

Maybe they only drive 3km per day!
I love my car. Buy your own

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

• Drives: Purple People Eater
Maybe they only drive 3km per day!

Wouldn't matter how far they drove. The claim is that they can charge their cars purely from solar generated energy. When a Tesla is being charged using the standard single phase charger provided, it draws about 8kw of power. On the optional 3 phase it is obviously 3 times that for a shorter time period. That energy can come from only 3 places- the grid, solar generated energy directly, or solar generated energy stored in batteries. In a hybrid system using solar panels with battery storage and grid connected power, the energy can come from a combination of all 3 over the charging period.
In my experience you are going to need  20kw of solar panels and 48kw/h of battery storage to charge a Tesla using purely solar generated energy, and then only for a  daily "top up" charge of 20kw to 30kw. Remember a Tesla has a gigantic battery, anywhere from 60kw/h to 100kw/h. Even 48kw/h (6 Tesla wall batteries) won't charge a fully drained Tesla car. You also need to remember that having 48kw/h of batteries doesn't mean you get that much energy as you need to work them within a defined range of charge/discharge to prolong battery life, just like a Tesla car.  My gel pack batteries are set up to work within the range of 45% to 90% charge for example.

Sooooo long story short, the typical 5kw of solar panels plus 7.5kw/h of Tesla wall battery won't generate or store enough energy to charge a Tesla to any significant degree, much less charge it totally from purely solar generated energy as claimed

Attached pic is an example from my old 10kw solar with 24kw/h battery storage. Top graph is energy consumption. Bottom graph is energy generation.  Big peak in consumption  is the Tesla charging.

Green = solar generated energy directly consumed

Red = grid supplied energy

Mustard = solar generated energy stored in batteries being discharged  and used.

Orange = solar generated energy being stored in batteries for later use.

Yellow = surplus solar energy generated being sent back to the grid. This happens as little as possible by system design and occurs when batteries are fully charged and the energy is surplus to what you are directly consuming at the time.