Offline NSX

• The Cow Whisperer

• Drives: Honda NSX
Heres day one of Brenda's big week out - Koh Samui, Thailand
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL_7jErKm14" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL_7jErKm14</a>

Offline CortinaD

Heres day one of Brenda's big week out - Koh Samui, Thailand
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL_7jErKm14" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL_7jErKm14</a>

Looks like a great spot Les. I am quite naive when it comes to places like Thailand as I still imagine them undeveloped and filthy but that is clearly not the case.

Have a fantastic time!

Offline NSX

• The Cow Whisperer

No mate your 100% correct the villages and towns are complete squaller. They are underdeveloped and filthy it seems that the locals treat their environment with total contempt and dont even give a shit how their own homes/lands look like we were very shocked and dissappointed.

Thats why we chose this place up on a hill where-as most of all the other resorts are along the coastline amongst the squaller.

Offline Steve.

• Drives: AMG.
  • Name: Steve
Looks like a great spot Les. I am quite naive when it comes to places like Thailand as I still imagine them undeveloped and filthy but that is clearly not the case.

Have a fantastic time!

It really depends where you go. On the tourist trail you usually have a choice of places to stay... anywhere from $5 per night dorms to $5000 per night suites.

I'm a regular Thailand visitor. My second home is a little island in the Gulf of Thailand, about three hours from Koh Samui, named Koh Tao. It's a scuba diving island, and I go there to do scuba courses and dive for fun. The diving isn't fantastic but it's a very pretty place and the lifestyle is epic. Good eats, too. Usually I rent a little house for about $500 per month and a motorbike/scooter for another $50. Good times. I'm heading back for three months from late November, and I'll come home as a scuba instructor  :gnasher:

Offline NSX

• The Cow Whisperer

I must say i retract my generalisation we took a tour south of the island for a snorkelling tour and drove back on the western side of Koh Samui. What a difference more traditional living and less tourists it was very clean and more of what i expected from this island.
It seems the tourist populated area's are more in squaller.

Offline NSX

• The Cow Whisperer

Heres the next leg of our holiday now at Patong Beach, Phuket. We are staying at the Holiday Inn Busakorn Wing a new and private (not general population) wing of the hotel. Very nice place but very disappointed with our room as they advertise it as a villa (villa's are multi rooms) but all rooms are just large single rooms with separate bathroom/toilet area.

Other than that Patong Beach is full of traders that hassle you as soon as you step out of the resort, really busy and stinky and a million sleazy bars.

We travelled down south of the island yesterday that was pleasant less tourists and again more of what i expected from Thailand. If we come back south of Phuket is where you will find us Nai Harn Beach seems to be the place for us.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbTEjKnCaHo" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbTEjKnCaHo</a>

Offline Paulstar

Looks good, I've been to Patong before there is plenty to do. Shoot guns, go karting, snake farm and yes the sleazy bars.  :cool: There are heaps of muay thai gyms in Phuket as well have you been before? try and get a session in if you haven't  :thumbsup:

Offline Steve.

• Drives: AMG.
  • Name: Steve
Koh Samui and Phuket... two of the most commonly visited islands in Thailand but sadly two of the most... nasty places in Thailand.

Sure, there are nice parts of both here and there but... why bother when there's so much awesome so close to both?  :?

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head
I was not a huge fan of Phuket, so many better places in Thailand to go to. Would be a much better place with out all the bogans though.

The sewerage smell, forceful shop keepers hasseling, sleazy bars and all those annoying things is what differentiates it from Home. I wouldn't change those things about Phuket though (most of Thailand for that matter), let's face it, you don't go to Thailand (Asia in General) wanting it to be like Australia or Europe.
You can say I'm wrong, but my garage doesn't agree with that statement!!!

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head
No mate your 100% correct the villages and towns are complete squaller. They are underdeveloped and filthy it seems that the locals treat their environment with total contempt and dont even give a shit how their own homes/lands look like we were very shocked and dissappointed.

If you think those towns are bad, you clearly have not gone through Vietnam/Cambodia/Laos/ India/China etc...

I don't understand why you would be shocked or dissapointed though, what were you expecting?   Thailand has huge amounts of poverty in the country side, it really isn't a secret.
 Isn't the point of going overseas on a holliday to experience a world different to your own?

I for one like to see these real "shit holes" when I travel through these nations on holliday (although I'd rather sleep in a nice hotel at night). If I wanted to see fully developped "Western style" living and experiences just like home, I wouldn't bother leaving Australia then.
You can say I'm wrong, but my garage doesn't agree with that statement!!!