Offline NSX

• The Cow Whisperer

• Drives: Honda NSX
If you think those towns are bad, you clearly have not gone through Vietnam/Cambodia/Laos/ India/China etc...

I don't understand why you would be shocked or dissapointed though, what were you expecting?   Thailand has huge amounts of poverty in the country side, it really isn't a secret.
 Isn't the point of going overseas on a holliday to experience a world different to your own?

I for one like to see these real "shit holes" when I travel through these nations on holliday (although I'd rather sleep in a nice hotel at night). If I wanted to see fully developped "Western style" living and experiences just like home, I wouldn't bother leaving Australia then.

As per my comments below i dont understand your point. What comes from exploiting tourists is a shit experience you can say the same with the Gold Coast.

I must say i retract my generalisation we took a tour south of the island for a snorkelling tour and drove back on the western side of Koh Samui. What a difference more traditional living and less tourists it was very clean and more of what i expected from this island.
It seems the tourist populated area's are more in squaller.

We travelled down south of the island yesterday that was pleasant less tourists and again more of what i expected from Thailand. If we come back, south of Phuket is where you will find us, Nai Harn Beach seems to be the place for us.