Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
If the government got paid 10 times more, would you get the top CEOs of the country running for parliament? As it is, they are better off running the top companies.

Indeed, I left govt when I was doing stuff way more complex and "important" than what I do now, but govt weren't able to pay even half of private industry.

Since then, they've spent $2M+ on O/S contractors to build a system I could have done in a few months with the expertise I'd already developed. :doh: :rolleyes:

Offline Dave_A

It's unfortunate that the stupidity of the Greens voters is what brought us to where we are now.  Knowing what they know now -  would they change who they voted for??

What's sad about that question is the green voters I know are quite content with the tax, and with the way the Greens have their hands up Labor's ass.
I don't hate the Green's ideology and intentions,we'd all love a cleaner greener environment. What I disagree with is the way they go about it,it's like they're shoving it down our throats,like it or not.

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

Are you kidding?  They would be thrilled to bits after yesterday.

of course, they're probably the recipients of handouts.

pity the purchasing power of the dollar will drop

Offline Dave_A

I just hope we don't have a repeat of the late 80's economy,remember that?

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

I'd rather we didn't have this new tax but really it is a non-event.  The levy to pay for Queensland flood was much bigger in $ terms for high earners.  The last increase in the Medicare levy was much more significant.  Anyway, Gillard had no choice, given she needs the Greens and the independents to govern.  Her skill was in making the tax as small as she has and giving a tax cut with it.  She's appeased those in parliament whose cooperation she needs to govern and once most Australians realise they have a tax cut, they'll shut up too.

All that remains for high earners is to work out what business opportunities there are out there as a result of the new arrangements. That's what business is all about.  Success is the best revenge.

Offline eddievanhalen

• Drives: 2010 jaguar xkr
It's when you go beyond the Greens' "greenie" policies that it gets scary.

I agree with amgsl55 about Turnbull - he comes across to the masses as a bit of a toff but he has more real world experience than most of Labor put together.   Labor pollies to a large extent are union lawyers or straight out of activist uni groups > political staffers etc...... with little experience outside of that.

I also agree about the obsession with votes at the expense of policy (way more than usual) - partly a symptom of the hung parliament but also a lot to do with the type of pollie we have to deal with.   Ideology has also gone out the window IMO.

Bob Katter might get my vote next time around - at least he provides me entertainment value.  :scratchchin:

Gillard leaves me totally cold.  Can't put my finger on it but everything seems like a stage managed facade.  And when they insult our intelligence with their "noddies" in the background it's just so infuriating.

Perhaps we do need to offer more to our pollies and avoid the "pay peanuts, get monkeys" scenario.  It's ridiculous that our PM gets paid somewhere in the vicinity of 250-300k , often less than state premiers.   

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

It's ridiculous that our PM gets paid somewhere in the vicinity of 250-300k , often less than state premiers.

the perks are probably worth the same if not more

Offline eddievanhalen

• Drives: 2010 jaguar xkr
Even so , compared to what's paid to CEOs of significant corporations (and other potential competing "talent") it's bugger all.  Depends how serious we are about attracting better than the imbeciles we have currently.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com

Offline 986986

• Drives: 997.2 S PDK; '12 Cayenne Diesel (family bus)
In my humble opinion the "carbon tax" is simply a thinly veiled exercise in wealth tax and social re-engineering

Can someone please explain if the idea is to reduce co2 why is the matrix for payment tethered to income bands as apposed to crbon usage.......Could it be this is an example of a great way our current government can introduce a wealth tax if you will for those earning over $150,0000.