Offline allanuber

• Name: Al
30 year?

So I just did a quick Google, seems that the general sentiment around the metal has changed in the past few days. If you're looking for a speccy investment check out bitcoins, they did fantastically well in the wake of a cyprus bailout news - fell back fairl sharply fairly quickly but still way ahead, plenty of volatility if you're looking to gamble.  :)

Till they get hacked.... again.
C'mon, do it!

Offline a.taylor

The quick look I had suggested that gold was only down to levels of about 2 years ago. Cant see how/why it would be connected to the goings on in Boston either. It has been moving down for a week or so.

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

The quick look I had suggested that gold was only down to levels of about 2 years ago. Cant see how/why it would be connected to the goings on in Boston either. It has been moving down for a week or so.

there's almost an inverse relationship of gold v's DJIA.  If the market is trending upwards as it has been then money is moved out of gold and into industrial stocks.  The past 2 weeks the dow has been doing remarkably well, hence gold is down.

Offline Paulstar

Till they get hacked.... again.

It's more of a when than an if you're correct, BC are not yet a suitable place to leave your money as a store of value maybe one day but not yet.

Offline a.taylor

there's almost an inverse relationship of gold v's DJIA.  If the market is trending upwards as it has been then money is moved out of gold and into industrial stocks.  The past 2 weeks the dow has been doing remarkably well, hence gold is down.

Generally speaking gold is considered a 'safe haven' when markets are volatile yeah? So stands to reason that when the markets are moving more favourably that money comes out of gold. FX markets have been much the same over the last week or so, some strong moves rather than the noise that has filled most of the last couple of months.

Offline RS

• Drives: AMG

Was just going by the "breaking news" on the TV at work as i was getting a coffee
Convict by heritage, Guilty by Choice

Offline Paulstar

Was just going by the "breaking news" on the TV at work as i was getting a coffee

You could throw some money in and hope for the obligatory dead cat bounce to manifest then get right out.

Offline futurism

• Drives: Regretfully sold my GT3
  • Name: David
I found this quite interesting
http://www.brookings.edu/research/reports/2012/11/30-global-metro-monitor

the interactive map down the left is informative
the full results pdf's on the right reveal Adelaide to be the 289th (out of 300) worst performing metropolitan area economies in the world.
Only cities in Italy, Spain, Portugal and Greece ranked worse than Adelaide!

Perth on the other hand came 2nd in the world, Behind Macau.

The vast majority of the top 50 cities are Chinese.

Another real eye opener, from both the map and the stats pdf, is GDP per capita of those cities.
Australia isnt as high up as I thought, Perth fares well at $63.4k but most other Australian cities are in the 40 - 49k range with Adelaide trailing at $37k.
This doesnt compare well to London and Paris, pretty much all of the USA, and even many Chinese cities.

I didnt read too much into the mathematics of how these stats are determined, the formulas are complex but they are provided in a separate PDF.