Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Spent a bit of time recently examining myself and why things have gone the way they have, it's damn hard to look at yourself and be objective, takes a lot of doing really.

As I said in the books thread, there's two which have really re-opened the whole self-examination thing recently, Mistakes Were Made, But Not By Me which is study citation after example after explanation of why and how our brains are wired - cognitive dissonance is the overrulling theme - and the things we tell ourselves to get by.  If you ever studied psychology/sociology, there's not much particularly new, but it's presented in such a way that you're just like fuck, they're right.  It's a bit depressing, but as long as you don't dwell it should be fine.

The other one is Delusion Damage - again, it hammers home how much of what we've been told all our lives is wrong.  I gave an in-depth analysis in the link, and like I said I'm reluctant to recommend it as the guy is full of himself and somewhat extreme in some views, but for the most part, there's lots of sound stuff in there.

I don't study women and these things for the sake of it, it's all just a lifelong pursuit of self-improvement and awesomeness.

Online anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A red car.

I don't study women and these things for the sake of it, it's all just a lifelong pursuit of self-improvement and awesomeness.

Fark the Pursuit of Happiness... Ash, you "Have To" write a book called, "The Pursuit of Awesomeness."

I'd buy a copy for sure.

I hope I live long enough to see Leonardo DiCaprio's future son play young Ash in the movie.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Fark the Pursuit of Happiness... Ash, you "Have To" write a book called, "The Pursuit of Awesomeness."

I'd buy a copy for sure.

I hope I live long enough to see Leonardo DiCaprio's future son play young Ash in the movie.

:D

Funnily enough, a couple weeks ago a great story plot - start/middle/end - just came to me spontaneously, and yes very much in the vein of The Pursuit Of Awesomeness™, so I've also added "write a book" to my list of things to do with my new spare time, however it's the kind of thing I'd need this to do:

Gimme two weeks of isolation and an endless supply of grog and I'll write the next great novel. :D

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

As I said in the books thread, there's two which have really re-opened the whole self-examination thing recently, Mistakes Were Made, But Not By Me which is study citation after example after explanation of why and how our brains are wired - cognitive dissonance is the overrulling theme - and the things we tell ourselves to get by.  If you ever studied psychology/sociology, there's not much particularly new, but it's presented in such a way that you're just like fuck, they're right.  It's a bit depressing, but as long as you don't dwell it should be fine.

The other one is Delusion Damage - again, it hammers home how much of what we've been told all our lives is wrong.  I gave an in-depth analysis in the link, and like I said I'm reluctant to recommend it as the guy is full of himself and somewhat extreme in some views, but for the most part, there's lots of sound stuff in there.

I've read a few books like these over the years and here's another truth, that while the contents ring true and are almost breathtakingly enlightening, the effect disappears after a short time and you go on as you were, the knowledge doesn't stick.

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

Some of examples of cognitive dissonance arent good, the denying of the fact that WMD weren't found in Iraq wasnt a human mental action it was a deliberate act to avoid being seen as wrong for political reasons.
The smoker who knows it's bad but smokes anyway doesnt really deny it's bad for you they just have decided to continue because it's enjoyable ..................and addictive, though my father once said that when you do realise how bad it is for you you just stop, anything less than full realisation let's you continue.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

I've read a few books loke these over the years and here's another truth, that while the contents ring true and are almost breathtakingly enlightening, the effect disappears after a short time and you go on as you were, the knowledge doesn't stick.

For the most part yeah it's diminishing returns, but there's a cumulative effect, sometimes you're just not ready for the information even if you understand it, and some concepts just resound so well that you do your best to find a way to internalise them.

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

For the most part yeah it's diminishing returns, but there's a cumulative effect, sometimes you're just not ready for the information even if you understand it, and some concepts just resound so well that you do your best to find a way to internalise them.

You revert to what you were, regardless of how true the new knowledge might seem, bit scary really, you know better but you can't make any permanent change.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

You revert to what you were, regardless of how true the new knowledge might seem, bit scary really, you know better but you can't make any permanent change.

This is true for what you are told, it's what you discover that changes you.

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

This is true for what you are told, it's what you discover that changes you.

Even then, has anything you've discovered (about yourself) permanently changed you ?

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Even then, has anything you've discovered (about yourself) permanently changed you ?

Sure, most things are longer-term, but I'm just a product of all I've learnt and taken on board.  The stuff I learn isn't what any curriculum tells me, I research and research and research constantly, then when I've come to a conclusion about something, I let it marinate and try to internalise it.

It's a long journey, but off the top of my head here's some of the personal changes I've made just recently due to coming to conclusions/discoveries, a lot of them are just becoming more what I was, but some of the latest evolution has been faster - some of which I've touched on:

• Slaughtered my social circles - I now focus more on the people I already know are awesome, and cut out the meh.
  • Increasing my social circles - I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but I now go out of my way to chat to new people. Not all internet stuff like it was the past couple years, but real people out and about.
  • Cut my work hours - first major step in escaping the rat race. THIS is the way we are meant to live, every day I go to the office, I know I have a day off tomorrow. It's awesome.
  • Finding direction - I've always known I was destined to do awesome shit, but it's only started falling into place the last six months and now I have a clear path.
  • Changed my diet - I now eat like a predator, I already did for the most part, but now exclude all the processed shit I used to eat.
  • Changed my alcohol intake - I don't drink beer or sweet drinks any more, well the occasional craft beer but not for a session, the occasional cocktail, but mostly just quality gin, vodka, and wine.
  • Drink water - apart from quality alchohol, I now only drink water.  After a month I didn't miss soda any more.
  • Adventure - I'm going for hikes twice a week only as of extremely recently and loving it.
  • Stopped banging randoms - if it's on and quality then sure, but I'm not taking home bar dregs any more (mostly). Ideally I'll meet someone worth sticking with for longer term, until then, well I'm doing ok.
  • Meeting quality women - ok, this is still in-progress, there's the odd good sort but not abundance yet, and it's more about meeting them in casual day settings rather than shitfaced in a sweaty club with sticky floors.
  • Reading more - as a kid I read a few books a week, then I stopped for about 15 years, now I'm back into it with a vengeance.
  • Learning fascinating shit - every day I'm reading science articles and blogs and listening to podcasts on critical thinking etc, on any given day I'm armed to the teeth with interesting shit to talk about.
  • Not giving a fuck - ok I've always been like this, but nowadays it's less "I don't give a fuck" and more "that's really inconsequential in the scheme of things, and thus not a fuck was given".
  • Being friendlier - I wasn't a complete asshole, but sometimes any wisdom I might have imparted may be seen as arrogance. I'm just spending more time being friendly with people.

So yeah there's a partial list.  It's a continual evolution though.