Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

So yeah there's a partial list.  It's a continual evolution though.

Thats impressive but I was thinking more about changing the way you think, but I guess that's the process going on with a few of those things.

Not falling for pretty girls regardless of the size of their brain is one, you cant really stop yourself from doing that if they come on to you, but this is getting a bit involved.

Get Cosmos magazine http://www.cosmosmagazine.com/  I used to find that interesting when I had the time to read it

Offline Paulstar

• Changed my alcohol intake - I don't drink beer or sweet drinks any more, well the occasional craft beer but not for a session, the occasional cocktail, but mostly just quality gin, vodka, and wine.

Hey Ash, I dig the list - it's great your walking the walk  :thumbsup:. Can you explain this point, what are you hoping to acheive with this change?

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com

Hey Ash, I dig the list - it's great your walking the walk  :thumbsup:. Can you explain this point, what are you hoping to acheive with this change?

Eliminating sugar/carbs.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

One area where guys flounder a bit is "the pursuit of happyness", like it's an achievement, but really it's just a fleeting moment of self-awareness that you're in control of the universe right now.

Long-term self-esteem and contentment is through moving forward in waves, increasing what you control (mentally/physically/financially/emotionally) in a surge forward, then pulling back to enjoy the benefits until you feel the need to level up and increase your control again.

Think of it this way, when mum first took you out for driving lessons, you're on top of the world, acutely aware that you are in control of a powerful machine, capable of many great or evil things - your power is in the options. After a while you're no longer focussing on controlling this thing, you have a good handle on how it works, you're enjoying it, but kinda over it.

Then comes the day you get your full license, you hit the road unsupervised, WHOOSH this is awesome! You're not thinking about how cool it is to control the car, that's something you long ago internalised, right now you're in complete control of your fucking destiny! Every road is an adventure you can take and there's nobody else to be concerned about, you're pretty damn awesome.

Of course after a while things ebb, you're enjoying the freedom, but mostly you're not exercising it. You need another challenge. You need to increase your control over the universe or your feeling of contentment will dissipate.

So yeah, this is where a bloke really needs to find balance, push forward constantly trying to improve yourself and your position in life and you'll develop hubris and burn out, sit around not trying to achieve anything new and you'll wither into a husk, your contentment and self-esteem will erode slowly like boiling a frog.

The movie American Beauty is a great example of this.

Go forth and conquer, but leave plenty of time to survey your universe.

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
I guess I'm lucky. I'm really happy with me and my lot.

I'm having an admin morning maybe day at home, haven't invoiced anyone for over a month, but have been flat out, so need to catch up with that stuff, and a few other irons in fires.

But I just took a break to errr, sort out a magpie issue in the garden.

Immediately, 2 lorrikeets came to thank me, not more than 3 feet away, genuinely happy little thank you chirps, and eye contact.

I feel good.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Soap Dodger

Procrastinating?  Me too. :sorry:

http://youarenotsosmart.com/2010/10/27/procrastination/

you do know surveys and stats are at least 87% bullshit, according to a recent survey carried out in a cheap pub.

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

you do know surveys and stats are at least 87% bullshit, according to a recent survey carried out in a cheap pub.

Heh.  I was just reading some stuff which actually linked to studies on the science behind procrastination, (and I'm currently listening to a book called Your Brain At Work) but they were boring as bat shit, this article outlined it nicely and still stuck to "the facts".

The takeaway is - as we know from our own experience - we are actually wired to leave things that need doing as late as possible, we have a bias for the early payoff due to intertemporal choice - in which the darker part of our unknown future is left easier to deal with by focussing on smaller time-constraints.

Even though we know it, it's good to know the science behind it to assist in combat - every little bit helps.

• Soap Dodger

I genuinely think I don't procrastinate about anything, but I do prioritise things INCLUDING RESTING..

my wife doesn't get this philosphy.

If i rest says, she says "mow the lawn, or fix the cupboard", or X Y Z...

yes, dear, just as soon as I've finished resting, dear.