Offline allanuber

• Name: Al

Righte-o.

AE's diverted down a brain-provoking path, with lots of interesting discussion about diet (ranging from Tofu to Steakathon), exercise and general approach to being healthy and looking 'above average'.

The aim of this challenge though is to back up all the talk with action, and the action with proof.

So, to play you need to:

1. List your end goal
2. Explain how you're eating
3. Explain if you are supplementing
4. Outline how you are exercising

First milestone is December 1 - post up a picture of you lifting a heavy (for you) something, that best highlights your mighty (or svelte) physique.
C'mon, do it!

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
End goal: Spartan Warrior Physique
 - Not jacked, just lean and moderately muscled.
 - but realistically one that is lifelong maintainable - which means not requiring frequent intense workouts or constant dietary monitoring or skimping on lifestyle.
 - 75-78kg.

Eating: 90% Carnivore - favouring ketogenic
 - therefore adequate protein (~100-150g/day), minimal carbohydrates (<30g/day), and almost all energy requirements coming from fat.
 - No calorie counting, just eating as much protein as I need to be sustained, and as much fat as required to be satiated.
 - Intermittent fasting comes pretty natural like this (or as I call it - Intermittent Feasting), so on one day I may consume 5000-6000 calories, the next day just a few hundred - or nothing at all.
 - Typically only eat one full meal per day - a snapshot of an average day would be 2-4 eggs for breakfast (I sometimes eat just the yolks) covered in butter, no lunch just drinking plenty of water, then for dinner a 400-600g steak covered in olive oil/butter, some prawns in garlic cream sauce, and a couple pieces of broccoli covered in butter. I don't snack.
 - Also, alcohol - just hard liquor and dry wine (try to avoid more than one beer per session).

Supplementation: none
 - Occasional caffiene pill if I have a full day ahead.

Exercise: Incidental Adventure
 - Will be moderate walking (~5km daily), occasional hiking (once a week), a couple minutes of intense work (lifting heavy stuff) a couple times a week, and I'd like to get into some active non-damaging sport or martial discipline.

Current state: Fit but flabby
 - 84kg (up from 82kg before 50km hike a few days ago, my body slams on weight after intense exercise).
 - I have about 10kg of fat to lose, and 5kg of muscle to gain.
 - Have lost 15kg so far this year by doing the above regime but not very strictly, to get any further I'll need to be more strict and cut the grog somewhat.
 - Don't have any real performance benchmarks, recent efforts show I can do 30-40 pushups, can run (jog) 12km non-stop in 1h14m, can climb Mt Lofty in 45 mins, can hike 50km in ~12 hours. All of these in a completely fasted state and therefore running purely on endogenous energy.

Offline allanuber

^ Ash is good at this stuff   :)

1. List your end goal - look like a bloke that can wrestle a bear and win. Muscular, but to clearly have abs.

2. Explain how you're eating - very focussed on meat - picking protein foods first and not worrying about fat content. Avoiding simple sugars, dairy and anything wheat. Still pondering fruit and veg - at the moment they are optional. Zero soft drinks, juice or other junkfood. Still drinking, but off carby drinks like beer and onto scotch, straight thanks sir. Averaging 6 black coffee's a day - I like coffee.

3. Explain if you are supplementing - have actually dropped taking whey protein powder and creatine to see what the diet does.

4. Outline how you are exercising - back to basics. Heavy multijoint exercises, shooting for 1 warmup set of 20, then 3 work sets of 12, last set to positive failure for every exercise. Every week I need to deadlift, squat, row and bench heavy to failure at least once. Training every day, eating more protein if I'm not recovering.

Currently at 95kg's, 5'6". Down from 120kg's of lard at the start of the year mainly through diet. I believe a 'lean' target weight of 85kg's would be a winner.
C'mon, do it!

Offline Joel

This looks like a good reason to get out and back into some more serious training
1. List your end goal - To maintain a healthy eating pattern with all my current medical issues. 10% BF main goal

2. Explain how you're eating - Like a 20 something. Looking to cut dairy, most carbs and all junk food out of my diet. Concentrate on eating plenty of protein with some veg n salad and only drinking water.

3. Explain if you are supplementing - Never used it seemed a waste of money

4. Outline how you are exercising - Gym 5 times a week. 3 weights sessions concentrating on 2 muscle groups each time. 2 sessions of light cardio to keep fit for sporting purposes next year

Currently at 82kg's, 5"11" 18%BF

Offline Neru

So, to play you need to:

1. List your end goal
To lean up and burn the fat i had accumulated from the two years i had taken off from cardio and gym
Started to gym in march this year and weighed 70kg
currently weigh 85kg but most of the fat is gone, just a little of low ab fat which i have always struggled to get rid off
still have a little bit of low pectoral fat which i'm working on
Cutting down on junk food, usually when im studying i eat crappy food but have changed to a platter of fruit.
Was hard to cut down on snacks during the day so now when the urges for snacks come along I a variety of tuna cans to choose from
Protein shake (lean 100% whey gold) with milk in the morning
Pre - work (Assualt) 30min before gym
Protein shake after work-out
Probably will start taking L carnitine soon as it helps to convert fat to muscles
20-30min of cardio (1min sprint/ 1 walk) before weights
sometimes a short run after weights
Going to join a boxing gym soon

Offline Undefined

• Drives: Toyota 86
  • Name: Waqar Ahmed
1. List your end goal

Get some muscle in and bring out those stubborn abs.

Protein atleast 1gram per lb of LBM, fat around 0.5gm per lb of LBM and rest of the calories with Carbs.

Whey
Creatine

5x bike ride - 30-60min each ride.
5x Gym

Currently, 5'10" 74.5KG at around 10-11% BF.

Offline allanuber

So... looking above, most people are going to lift weights and do cardio, for generally over an hour a day of 'training' - not counting ambling around as described by Ashmond.

This means if I push it hard an hour every day in the gym, and Ash is doing his 15 minutes average a day - I'm spending 4x as much time, with greater effort due to multiple failures.

All things being equal - will be interesting to see if there's 4x the result    :)
C'mon, do it!

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
So... looking above, most people are going to lift weights and do cardio, for generally over an hour a day of 'training' - not counting ambling around as described by Ashmond.

This means if I push it hard an hour every day in the gym, and Ash is doing his 15 minutes average a day - I'm spending 4x as much time, with greater effort due to multiple failures.

All things being equal - will be interesting to see if there's 4x the result    :)

My rationale is simple, I'm looking at the greatest ROI available with the minimum effort, as proposed by science.

That means:
 - doing almost nothing that isn't incidental, just being active.
 - not stressing about food and just eating most of the things I love, hello red meat, seafood, eggs, gin and wine.
 - having a framework that is tenable as a lifelong thing, not something unmaintainable afterward without hard discipline.

This is effectively me taking my previous "training" regimes for the last couple events to a further level. I did nothing but train my body for keto-adaptation through eating for the City To Bay, and smashed my previous PBs without any physical training. Sure it wasn't Olympic medallist times, but my friends were training hard several times a week for the past six months whilst I was out eating steak and getting drunk every night, and in the end they only beat me by a couple minutes. I'd say victory is mine.

Hundreds of hours of effort to save a couple of minutes is not what I call economy of lifestyle, the only exercise I want to do is fun stuff I enjoy doing which just happens to be exercise.

Offline allanuber

My rationale is simple, I'm looking at the greatest ROI available with the minimum effort, as proposed by science.

That means:
 - doing almost nothing that isn't incidental, just being active.
 - not stressing about food and just eating most of the things I love, hello red meat, seafood, eggs, gin and wine.
 - having a framework that is tenable as a lifelong thing, not something unmaintainable afterward without hard discipline.

This is effectively me taking my previous "training" regimes for the last couple events to a further level. I did nothing but train my body for keto-adaptation through eating for the City To Bay, and smashed my previous PBs without any physical training. Sure it wasn't Olympic medallist times, but my friends were training hard several times a week for the past six months whilst I was out eating steak and getting drunk every night, and in the end they only beat me by a couple minutes. I'd say victory is mine.

Hundreds of hours of effort to save a couple of minutes is not what I call economy of lifestyle, the only exercise I want to do is fun stuff I enjoy doing which just happens to be exercise.

All makes sense, but this is our test of whether that minimal approach = 300ish, or whether it = average joe.

edit. also seeing whether more maximal approach = 300ish, or whether to give up, get a yacht and get old  :D
C'mon, do it!

Offline tentacles1

1. List your end goal

5% body fat at 90kg before the end of the year. Weigh in today, 98kg and 11% body fat.

Gluten free, meat every meal, minimal carbs, particularly targeting minimising sugar intake. Lots of meat, nuts and vegetables.

Currently just 100% natural WPC after every workout.

Swimming 90min 6 times per week, gym 60min 4 times per week. Current gym program involves low reps of heavy weight combined with 90sec sprints between supersets. Aim is to reduce muscle mass, particularly in my legs while maintaining/building strength.