Offline Joel

It's a very sad event.  One of the first things you learn when getting a race car license is that when you are involved in an accident "YOU STAY IN THE CAR UNTIL A MARSHALL TELLS YOU ITS SAFE TO GET OUT".

Some may recall Tony Delifice at Bathurst after his crash, you could hear him ask the Marshall.  "Is it OK for me to get out of the car now".  Textbook behaviour.

I follow NASCAR a lot and not pointing fingers, Tony Stewart is a bit of a hot head at times, there's been a few punch ups during and after events.   He however is very experienced and I don't believe for a minute it was deliberate.  Like Tiger, I grew up around speedway and Sprintcars are massively powerful and can step out real quick, they are designed to flick sideways when you put your foot down hence all the stagger.

Brett your last sentence is exactly why people will think he did it on purpose. He sees the kid walking towards him and pointing my first reaction would be to slow down not step on the gas especially if they are as powerful as you have pointed out.

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Electric everything
  • Name: Peter

Offline tdc911

It's a very sad event.  One of the first things you learn when getting a race car license is that when you are involved in an accident "YOU STAY IN THE CAR UNTIL A MARSHALL TELLS YOU ITS SAFE TO GET OUT".

Surely that can't be right?

Offline Tiger

Some may recall Tony Delifice at Bathurst after his crash, you could hear him ask the Marshall.  "Is it OK for me to get out of the car now".  Textbook behaviour.

I follow NASCAR a lot and not pointing fingers, Tony Stewart is a bit of a hot head at times, there's been a few punch ups during and after events.   He however is very experienced and I don't believe for a minute it was deliberate.  Like Tiger, I grew up around speedway and Sprintcars are massively powerful and can step out real quick, they are designed to flick sideways when you put your foot down hence all the stagger.

Unless you're on fire that is, then you get out quick smart.

I've seen guys smash into each other as a result of an incident under yellows and then it was on, full fist fight in field that ended up in the pits.
Roll on summer

Offline B2

• Slowest Ferrari Owner

Surely that can't be right?
I'm happy to be corrected if I'm wrong Tristan. ;)   Obviously if the car is on fire you get out.  It's been a few years but I'm pretty sure at drivers briefing we were told to take notice of marshalls when getting out of a car on track as they were aware of surrounding risks.

Offline TomE

I'm happy to be corrected if I'm wrong Tristan. ;)   Obviously if the car is on fire you get out.  It's been a few years but I'm pretty sure at drivers briefing we were told to take notice of marshalls when getting out of a car on track as they were aware of surrounding risks.

I thought drivers were to stay in the car to avoid being hit by marshall vehicles. That truck comes in pretty fast in the video.

Offline PA

• One man comedy gala

I remember being told to wait until you are instructed that it's safe to do so.

One time when embedded against the wall at Adelaide International Raceway I gently hung there in my harness waiting for the other car to hit me and only relaxed when I saw the feet of the marshals around the car. Even when the car was righted they said wait for the Doctor to say it was ok before I could get out. One of the marshals was my wife who was 8 months pregnant with our first daughter at the time. She spent the next week in hospital.

Offline tdc911

I was thinking of the situation where the car is on fire. However, where the car ends up and in what state (as well as the driver) should determine the best course of action. If the car is left prone on the track or just off the track, the safest thing to do would be to remain in the car. However, there are plenty of situations where the best course of action is for the driver to bail and it would be unsafe to wait for a marshal's all-clear.

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

There's a degree of theatrics in these events, storming onto the track might have seemed macho at the time but he forgot you just cant skip out of the way of cars at that speed on a track, he was just too cute and it cost him his life............

Offline TomE

I remember being told to wait until you are instructed that it's safe to do so.

One time when embedded against the wall at Adelaide International Raceway I gently hung there in my harness waiting for the other car to hit me and only relaxed when I saw the feet of the marshals around the car. Even when the car was righted they said wait for the Doctor to say it was ok before I could get out. One of the marshals was my wife who was 8 months pregnant with our first daughter at the time. She spent the next week in hospital.

Adelaide had an International Raceway???