Offline dkabab

I'm no expert I don't even try to understand how it works but I have huge respect for the riders determination and dedication, they even weigh their food  :eek:

I'd like to know their heart rates as they go through a stage, I think I'd be quite amazed at how low it would be.

I consider myself reasonably fit, and I cycle about 50-100kms a week.
These guys do 200kms a day, but they have the time as well. My mate who I cycle with does about 100-150kms a week, but has for 4 years, and he's super fit.

Anyway we both have heart rate monitors and I average ~160bpm while cruising at 30kph. His is 120bpm. I can hit 180 very quickly if I push hard, but he struggles to even hit 160

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

I consider myself reasonably fit, and I cycle about 50-100kms a week.
These guys do 200kms a day, but they have the time as well. My mate who I cycle with does about 100-150kms a week, but has for 4 years, and he's super fit.

Anyway we both have heart rate monitors and I average ~160bpm while cruising at 30kph. His is 120bpm. I can hit 180 very quickly if I push hard, but he struggles to even hit 160

I thought the heart rate would be lower the fitter you are but is it a higher rate is tolerated the fitter you are ?

I love bikes but I hate the road, it's bad enough in a car I would never ride on a public road again, too many dickheads out there.

Offline dkabab

I thought the heart rate would be lower the fitter you are but is it a higher rate is tolerated the fitter you are ?

I love bikes but I hate the road, it's bad enough in a car I would never ride on a public road again, too many dickheads out there.

It is lower the fitter u are. As I said I'm at 160, my fitter friend is at 120 for the same cycling speed. But, he's 65kg and I'm 105, so I'm pushing 40kg more, which is hard.  If he really tried he could hit 180-190, but he would be flying along. Resting rates are the same. Mine is about 60-70, my cousin who is an Australian swimmer is around 50. Most unfit people would be around 80

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

It is lower the fitter u are. As I said I'm at 160, my fitter friend is at 120 for the same cycling speed. But, he's 65kg and I'm 105, so I'm pushing 40kg more, which is hard.  If he really tried he could hit 180-190, but he would be flying along. Resting rates are the same. Mine is about 60-70, my cousin who is an Australian swimmer is around 50. Most unfit people would be around 80

I find this interesting I wonder what the rates of the Tour De France riders are ? I guess it's a closely kept secret.

Offline Cuso

I find this interesting I wonder what the rates of the Tour De France riders are ? I guess it's a closely kept secret.

I think they occasionally show it on the commentary, I recall that from two years ago.

Offline dkabab

i would assume their resting heart rate would be around 50ish, it wouldnt get much lower than that. it might be in the high 40's but that would be serious resting (asleep)

the reason their heart doesnt need to beat so often, is because its able to pump more blood per beat than a weak unfit person. the result of this is when their strong heart does beat higher, its pumping a huge amount of blood around the body, blood of course carries oxygen to the cells, and allows aerobic activity to continue for longer periods.

also remember, while these TDF guys would be sitting on 90-110bpm while im on 160-170, they cruise at 40-50kph and im at 30kph.... so i would say they would cruise at ~130-150bpm. but 20kph faster than i would be at the same heart rate.

these guys burn so many calories they have to eat so much... i can burn 3000 calories in a 2hr ride (acording to my gps/HR thing) id hate to think how many they burn on a mountain stage of the TDF. A big mac is about 550 calories... i just googled it, they eat 9000 calories a day..... WOW!

Offline 1q2w3e4r

Most tour riders resting heart rates are in the early to mid 30s.  The maximums and "threshold" heart rates are different for each and every rider. A threshold hr is the average number of beats for a rider in a time trial or uphill finish of 20-30 minutes at full gas.

One beat of your heart rate doesn't equal one beat of anyone else's however, the same goes for tour riders.

They use power meters that measure watts to accurately determine output not heart rate (which is a lagging indicator).

For example, my resting heart rate is 42, my maximum is 210. However my threshold heart rate (what I average in a hard 1 hr time trial, road race or long effort is 193 bpm).  However I can only put out 250-260 watts at threshold or 4.1 watts per kilogram of weight.

A tour rider like Evans or Contador makes about 430 watts at the same weight (you need to be able to push 6.5-6.7 watts per kilo at threshold to win the Tour when fresh) the riders end up pushing about 6.2-6.3 w/kg in the race, at altitudes of 2300+ meters and that's where the differences lay.

Online anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A red car.

For example, my resting heart rate is 42, my maximum is 210. However my threshold heart rate (what I average in a hard 1 hr time trial, road race or long effort is 193 bpm).  However I can only put out 250-260 watts at threshold or 4.1 watts per kilogram of weight.

Mondi ... get rid of those solar panels.... put some cyclists on the roof brother  :D :thumbsup:

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

Most tour riders resting heart rates are in the early to mid 30s.  The maximums and "threshold" heart rates are different for each and every rider. A threshold hr is the average number of beats for a rider in a time trial or uphill finish of 20-30 minutes at full gas.

One beat of your heart rate doesn't equal one beat of anyone else's however, the same goes for tour riders.

They use power meters that measure watts to accurately determine output not heart rate (which is a lagging indicator).

A tour rider like Evans or Contador makes about 430 watts at the same weight (you need to be able to push 6.5-6.7 watts per kilo at threshold to win the Tour when fresh) the riders end up pushing about 6.2-6.3 w/kg in the race, at altitudes of 2300+ meters and that's where the differences lay.

:worship:

Offline cel

I just came back from a boys weekend in Belgium and we decided to go mountain biking in the Belgium Ardennes. It was great fun going down hill but climbing was so steep, we had to walk up some bits!