Offline TEZZA

• Those Frenchies seek him everywhere

• Drives: No matter what it is I am still lusting after something better.

TEZZA is off to South America and I am wondering about mobile phone success and data service.

I am going to

Ecuador
Peru
Bolivia
Chile
Argentina
Brazil

Now I am 99% sure things will be OK in places like Buenos Aires and Rio for the phone, but the data service is the big Q.

Also some of the other places I will bet have a batch of bastard children as phone companies, and you can almost forget data.

In Santiago I will be in a big hotel so probably OK. But in other places it is pretty basic, and I am assuming little or no service.

It's the old quandry about whether to take the laptop. It's good to be able to email and skype back to the office and keep up with what's going on in my business. But I don't want to lug a laptop all over South America if the only place I get a service is in the Qantas Club at the airport when I land, and when I leave.

Anyone have any real life experience in this matter?????

Offline futurism

• Drives: Regretfully sold my GT3
  • Name: David
I have never been to south america
but http://www.flyertalk.com/forum is normally a wealth of information
either check the south america section or the travel technology section

Offline Steve.

• Drives: AMG.
  • Name: Steve

TEZZA is off to South America and I am wondering about mobile phone success and data service.

I am going to

Ecuador
Peru
Bolivia
Chile
Argentina
Brazil

Now I am 99% sure things will be OK in places like Buenos Aires and Rio for the phone, but the data service is the big Q.

Also some of the other places I will bet have a batch of bastard children as phone companies, and you can almost forget data.

In Santiago I will be in a big hotel so probably OK. But in other places it is pretty basic, and I am assuming little or no service.

It's the old quandry about whether to take the laptop. It's good to be able to email and skype back to the office and keep up with what's going on in my business. But I don't want to lug a laptop all over South America if the only place I get a service is in the Qantas Club at the airport when I land, and when I leave.

Anyone have any real life experience in this matter?????

It's kinda like Australia but also very unlike Australia. You'll have mobile reception in most populated places, free wifi in many (it's kinda like South East Asia in that regard - not like Australia!), and 3g of variable quality in others. Take a Mifi device and buy a SIM with local roaming. I can't help with the best SIM...

When do you leave? I haven't been to South America in about fifteen years but my parents will be there in a couple of weeks (Chile, Argentina, Peru, then Central America) and they're nerds as well so I reckon they could help out if I ask the right questions :)

Online mtarone

I have never been to south america
but http://www.flyertalk.com/forum is normally a wealth of information
either check the south america section or the travel technology section

+1 very informative and useful site for travellers.