Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
---> http://urbantwilight.net

A website dedicated to underground and building-top exploration and photography, interesting stuff.

Few people ever stop to consider what lies beyond their humble two dimensional existence. Most never even wondering what might hide below the city streets or what it's like to sit on top of its highest buildings. However, for a select few who know where to go and how to get there, the urban world can be amazing place, just waiting to share its secrets.

UrbanTwilight is dedicated to photographing the underground tunnels, abandoned buildings, rooftops, and hidden industry that most people would never normally get to see.The images contained on this site have been shot in Sydney, Adelaide, Melbourne, Canberra, Hobart, and countless country locations inbetween. Nearly all have been taken in low to very-low lighting conditions, and most on Canon digital equiptment.

In the late 90's I was taking a random walk one overcast afternoon, somehow came across some underground tunnel entrance and figgered it'd be a good idea to see where it went.  It was a couple inches shorter than me which meant I had to walk like Quasimodo, and the floor had standing water.  Within 2 minutes it's was pitch black and the light from the entrance was little more than a pin-prick behind me. 

God knows what I was thinking - there's no way I'd walk down something like that nowadays - at least without rally-lights on my hat.  I was walking for ~15mins before I saw any light - very odd feeling, even though I'd done it many times living in the outback.  God knows how long it was, but it was interesting knowing that these tunnels exist out there.

Offline dkabab

We had a tunnel from school to the city we could walk through. (Prince Alfred College)
Of course we weren’t allowed to use it, and it was sort of a secret…. But we discovered it one day. Supposedly it was there from the war.

Offline Doctor

• Left Sodways
  • Under a Vw, or behind a Camera...

There are heaps through Adelaide, Adelaide Uni has a fair few, pretty sure CBC had some, as well as Saint Mary's college, and there are quite a few situated off of rundle mall/hindley street/rundle street.

There are some amazing ones through Japan, with very few enterances, and a lot are used/guarded by the military, dont get caught down there, i have heard some horrible stories...
www.brassmunkymedia.com.au

Oversteer Scares The Passengers , Understeer Scares The Driver

Offline app

i dont know if this is true - but i heard there was a tunnel back from the 1800's that runs underground from the magistrates court to parliament house, some cop station and some other places. does anyone know the validity of these claims?

Offline Doctor

• Left Sodways
  • Under a Vw, or behind a Camera...

Would sound about right to me, Adelaide uni has direct access to the train station and a bunch of other shit, so could be true....
www.brassmunkymedia.com.au

Oversteer Scares The Passengers , Understeer Scares The Driver

Offline app

it'd be great if they could sort of fix them up and use them - take people on tours etc.

or extend them and make some sort of underground bike network or something :cool: that'd be awesome!

also do you have any details on the adelaide uni tunnels? i'd be very interested to read up on them

Offline fivesix

a couple of KMs of them under my old school apparently. for the war times...

Offline Rat Boy

• 1158 : 143

Urban Exploration is massive over here. I hang around at www.28dayslater.co.uk one of the biggest sites for it.
Only high stuff interests me really. Although I would love to spend some time in the Paris Catacombs... Over 300km of tunnels under the city.... Crazy.
Cheers>>Jack

If you're not wasted, the day is.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
...Paris Catacombs... Over 300km of tunnels under the city.... Crazy.

I saw American Werewolf in Paris - me too! :p

Offline Rat Boy

• 1158 : 143

I saw American Werewolf in Paris - me too! :p

Not seen it... :confused:

Some really crazy stuff down there.....
Cheers>>Jack

If you're not wasted, the day is.