Offline smileone96

• Drives: Black Cars
Might be a little late - but Assagio - been there many many times and it is consistently good. Windy Point is also usually good. Magill Estate also is excellent.

Offline smileone96

• Drives: Black Cars
Thanks for the suggestions guys, has anyone been to Blanc on O'Connell St recently?
Blanc was ok the times we have been there. Not wowed, but they did serve a good steak on our last trip.

Offline M500

Thanks guys, will try Fino some time, been to Assagio & Windy Point too many times, my wife is pregnant so Magil Estate wine list would be 1/2 wasted at our table.

End up booking Blanc as we have not been there and I am craving some decent seafood.

I was quite surprised that Alphute and a couple of of other decent places do not open on Saturday nights, I would have thought this would be the money night for a decent restraunt as some others I tried calling were booked our completely.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Another one to keep on the list is Andre's on Frome, fairly high energy so maybe not romantic, been there a few times and it's always been top food and a bubbly atmosphere.

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

Melt, Pot, Auge, Pink Pig ( for awsome ribs), Sauce, Andre's pollenta place on Frome street ( my partner loved it -  not so much me), Insieme on Pirie ( it would kick ass for dinner if location were better) Strathmore on North terrace for stone grill dining -  great view upstairs

Offline dkabab

Offline M500

Alll great suggestions.

We finished up at Blanc for dinner. The place had nice decor and importantly the floor was carpeted which makes for a quieter noise level. The service staff were warm and friendly with better than average conversation skills. The food was fantastic. We had their signature oysters which were breadcrumbed and deep-fried, then topped with hollandaise sauce and grilled - absolutely delicious. I had garlic prawns as entree which were served in a hotpot with some Turkish bread on the side. for mains my wife ordered the chilli moreton bay bugs and I had a rare 600g aged porterhouse which was served with broccolini and thick cut chips. Dessert was som rather impressive signature thingy with meringue and sorbet, etc ,etc. All up a very enjoyable and satisfying meal.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Nice. But should you be reporting on dinner or umm, enjoying other spoils about now? :p

One thing that probably isn't highlighted enough is architecture toward ambience, as you pointed out the carpet floors probably helped a great deal to the subdued nature. That's typically a family buffet restaurant thing, but having spent most evenings in the past five years in restaurants with plenty of background noise, I can appreciate the idea.

Offline M500

One thing that probably isn't highlighted enough is architecture toward ambience, as you pointed out the carpet floors probably helped a great deal to the subdued nature. That's typically a family buffet restaurant thing, but having spent most evenings in the past five years in restaurants with plenty of background noise, I can appreciate the idea.

As much as it is not a deal breaker in terms of my choice of place, I tend to enjoy the whole experience much more when I can have a decent conversation with the other person and don't need to try to filter out high levels of excessive noise. I also like going to a place with minimalistic decor as it tends to concentrate the experience on the offering (the food). One other aspect that I am picky about with my dining out is the quality/ age/ cleanliness of the cutlery, plates and glassware; there is nothing worse that staring at baked on cheese on your fork or having to hold and put into my mouth dull, scratched and generally fucked cutlery in a fine dining experience.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Ok this is a full on first world problems thread now, but yeah,  last night we had nowhere to hang our coats - the chairbacks were too round and we didn't want to wear them inside, what do you do?

Please serve wine in nice glasses. Not only does it help us who appreciate it enjoy the wine more, it helps those who don't yet realise there's more out there.