Offline looney

• Drives: VW Beetle
I'm sorry to say if your goal is purely business and to make a specific profit you will be sorely disappointed.
You say rare cars may take time to sell, I would wager money a 996 gt3 would be sitting in your garage equally as long. Grey imports of locally available cars have a stigma that means you will have to provide a healthy discount when eventually someone is willing to take it.

The only circumstance I could see this making a reasonable hassle free transaction is if you already have someone local lined up prior to purchasing it. But I doubt anyone would pay $40k over the odds unless it's something in F40 or xj220 territory. However in that league I'd guess you could make more than $40k

I'm not trying to be a dick just giving a dose of reality. This topic has been broached many times over the years.

Offline benders

Find a showroom condition WRX STI 22B with under 20k kms on it completely original and ill pay you a premium for it.

Not a $40k premium but it is an easy deal as you won't have to hold it when its here at all.

Offline foibles

cheers. already had similar offers.....such as bentley mulsanne. but most we've spoken to dont want to lay out most capital upfront....so if we're going to use our capital....we'd rather not contractually lock in early....but wait and see what a bigger markrt offers. had thought of 22b.....but too rare. dont want to be waiting for months to find the right car....just want to lock them in and get the clock ticking. if the government does not bring in those new laws around allowing people to import their own cars 'new' then we may look at the new alfa if its not being delivered here.

Offline foibles

Find a showroom condition WRX STI 22B with under 20k kms on it completely original and ill pay you a premium for it.

Not a $40k premium but it is an easy deal as you won't have to hold it when its here at all.

i reckon even Sti is a great investment...even here in aus. a good 98 / 99 sti coupe is so cheap when you consider that the aftermarket had pushed these from 65 to 90k as soon as they left the showroom

Offline benders

i reckon even Sti is a great investment...even here in aus. a good 98 / 99 sti coupe is so cheap when you consider that the aftermarket had pushed these from 65 to 90k as soon as they left the showroom

Gone are the days of an STI coupe being cheap... all thats left are the worn out rubbish ones.
I've been collecting the best coupes available for the past 8 years and we have the bests ones that have been to market over this period with the LOWEST kms.

Thats why i want the 22B with low kms and showroom condition.

If you do decide to go down the 22B path send me a message.

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

• Drives: Purple People Eater
I think a 22B would be a good bet for the future.

Offline jamesatfish

TVR Tuscan.  Can still pick up something decent for around 20K GBP (about $33K AUD these days), last one I saw on Carsales sold for around $75K.  Might not be exactly the $40K profit you are chasing but close enough.

Will still be hard to sell when you get back to Oz but you won't be fighting the UK import stigma that you will with a car built on the continent.

Offline foibles

yeah and that's 40k net of all costs. 20k gbp is closer to 36k aud.....which including a year's worth of insurance and maintenance....then shipping and taxes and adr work once here....would be a touch over 50k. however....that's why i like the older collectables......if it's fetching 70k here now.....reasonable to think it may fetch 90k in 18 months time. voila.....there's the 40k!

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

• Drives: Purple People Eater
IMHO a Tuscan anything would be FAR harder to shift in Australia than anything else I can think of.

Offline benders

your $40k Profit margin is going to be a tough ask..

reduce your outlay , find someone that wants the car and is happy to wait, work on less margin with less to no risk.

EG: 22B @ $90k, shipping costs ect $15k, storage $5k (Approx) Sell $125K ish depending on condition and kms

Less outlay, less profit, less risk

Better ROI