Offline Fortis

• 300kph+ club

I'm sorry to say if your goal is purely business and to make a specific profit you will be sorely disappointed.
You say rare cars may take time to sell, I would wager money a 996 gt3 would be sitting in your garage equally as long. Grey imports of locally available cars have a stigma that means you will have to provide a healthy discount when eventually someone is willing to take it.

The only circumstance I could see this making a reasonable hassle free transaction is if you already have someone local lined up prior to purchasing it. But I doubt anyone would pay $40k over the odds unless it's something in F40 or xj220 territory. However in that league I'd guess you could make more than $40k

I'm not trying to be a dick just giving a dose of reality. This topic has been broached many times over the years.

You are right, this topic has been discussed ad nauseam and I always read the same story, you can't make money, you can't sell it, grey imports have a stigma, I always wondered how many of those commenting actually had done a PI.

I've done one myself and I made a tone of profit plus enjoyed the thing overseas and locally. Buy the right car at the right money and you will make money on it.

Offline Tiger

Hold off the pound is dropping still bargains to be had.
Roll on summer

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Offline Fortis

• 300kph+ club

Online looney

• Drives: VW Beetle
You are right, this topic has been discussed ad nauseam and I always read the same story, you can't make money, you can't sell it, grey imports have a stigma, I always wondered how many of those commenting actually had done a PI.

I've done one myself and I made a tone of profit plus enjoyed the thing overseas and locally. Buy the right car at the right money and you will make money on it.

I also did a PI on a car myself some time ago and also used to import cars many moons ago. There is always money in anything if you do it right but the scenario being suggested here isn't likely to come off as the OP is hoping IMO.

Online looney

Just as a point of interest. I was looking at 993tt's on carsales a few weeks ago and there was a PI 993tt on there but it was about $50k (possibly more) less than the locally delivered cars.  This would be a good segment to watch to see if there is any indication of how quickly it sells (if it's still there now. I'm on my phone so can't see)

Online looney

Correction $100k cheaper.

all probably a little high for the market right now IMO, but as stated should give an indication of how PI's compare to local market cars.  for me personally PI Arena Red would be my pick :D

Offline Fortis

• 300kph+ club

Correction $100k cheaper.

all probably a little high for the market right now IMO, but as stated should give an indication of how PI's compare to local market cars.  for me personally PI Arena Red would be my pick :D

And yet still about $150k more than those car should trade for  :p

Online looney

Offline andecorp

• Biggest daddy in the park 300kph+ club
  • No idea how to make her happy!

• Drives: too many cars for one ass
I'm in for a XJ220 and I'll give you $50k profit for your troubles. But I am not parting with any cash at all until the car is here in Aust.
And I have to be fully involved in the choosing of the car (I don't want some heap of crap).
You make something idiotproof, they'll make a better idiot.