Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

I see, I guess, after owning a Mondial, it IS hard to achieve a higher being  :tilt:

A mere stepping stone old boy. How many bogans can actually say they owned a Ferrari, even if it was a Mondial.

Just remember who else owned a Mondial once as their first Ferrari, and look at him now, I may be behind the 8 ball a little but so far I am 2 stepping stones along the path.      :thumbsup:

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A red car.
A mere stepping stone old boy. How many bogans can actually say they owned a Ferrari, even if it was a Mondial.
  :headbang:

Offline RMV

• A Country Member

David you are not alone.  I too am extremely conservative. I don't have any debt (other than my monthly CC). I own my house, cars, business and factories.  I don't buy anything I can't pay cash for now.   I have a rolling TD of few hundred k like you just in case there is an emergency.

I guess it's a confidence thing.  Scottski has been telling me for ages to use other people's money which I should.  Maybe if I took a few more risks I to would have a yellow 458 Speciale, not a shitty old 308. Haha.

Like you, being completely debt free (save for monthly CC which is paid in full each month) including owning my own home outright, having a reasonable amount of cash in the bank in case of an emergency, and having some other diversified investments for the long term is a secure place to be in, IMHO. Any surplus funds I direct into my car savings account... looking forward to getting that vintage 911 one day in the not too distant future.  :)

Offline andecorp

• Biggest daddy in the park 300kph+ club
  • No idea how to make her happy!

• Drives: too many cars for one ass
I own the place I live in and the house the kids live in. All investment properties are financed. All toys are owned. I have a $8mil life insurance so the kids future is assured if I die. So I have no debts to service.

But, apart from that, I SPEND!!! It's physics. Each force in the universe has an equal and opposing force. So physics dictate that the more money I spend, the more I'll earn back from the universe. So I SPEND! And guess what? I keep earning it too - after all, it has to balance itself ;)

Seriously, live with no regrets.
You make something idiotproof, they'll make a better idiot.

Online allanuber

• Name: Al
I own the place I live in and the house the kids live in. All investment properties are financed. All toys are owned. I have a $8mil life insurance so the kids future is assured if I die. So I have no debts to service.

But, apart from that, I SPEND!!! It's physics. Each force in the universe has an equal and opposing force. So physics dictate that the more money I spend, the more I'll earn back from the universe. So I SPEND! And guess what? I keep earning it too - after all, it has to balance itself ;)

Seriously, live with no regrets.

:)   That's the way to do it man!
C'mon, do it!

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

There's lots of good advice here already but I recommend against thinking too hard about saving/spending decisions and focus instead on income. Increasing earnings will make a bigger difference to your life than controlling expenses. If you are not where you want to be financially and you don't work in a way where you can control your income, focus instead on a career change. But do it before you have kids if you can - those little buggers can kill an appetite for risk, and no risk = no reward.

Offline looney

• Drives: VW Beetle
lots of interesting discussion here guys, thanks for the input.

so how do I double my income :/ will have to start at the drawing board again. LOL

Offline Condor Man

• Is it a Bird?? Well, sort of, Yes.... 300kph+ club
  • Plastic Surgeon

• Drives: A car
There's lots of good advice here already but I recommend against thinking too hard about saving/spending decisions and focus instead on income. Increasing earnings will make a bigger difference to your life than controlling expenses. If you are not where you want to be financially and you don't work in a way where you can control your income, focus instead on a career change. But do it before you have kids if you can - those little buggers can kill an appetite for risk, and no risk = no reward.

Well said.

From my experience a career in Sales will always allow you to increase your income if you work hard enough.

You could be selling anything from photocopiers to houses.

You just need to apply yourself.
May the Horse be with you....

Offline M500

From my experience a career in Sales will always allow you to increase your income if you work hard enough.

Agreed.

I don't know of anything else that gives financial reward for effort as well as a good sales career, especially commission based sales.

Offline Neru

This is a bit of an issue for myself at the moment, going through uni and working a lot I rarely saved. I always spent and bought what ever I wanted without giving it too much thought. Lately I have been trying to save with a relatively low income making it difficult as I still have the old mentality of enjoying myself. Ive gotten to an age where I need to have some sort of savings but I means sacrificing things I need cause I consider it "too expensive" these days.

Well said.

Maybe I should consider a career in sales, it would be a good challenge for myself